What's new
What's new

Newbie needs advice on software program to study , to go from design to manufacture

Spud

Diamond
Total newbie here. I am planning on taking a software geared towards CAD / CAM at local vocational college .

Looking though the classes offered, it looks like Solidworks 1 might be what I am after, but am not sure.

Course description: " This course introduces parametric solid modeling using SolidWorks software. Students focus on part modeling and assembly skills with an emphasis on design. Detail drawing with dimensioning and rapid prototyping techniques are also introduced. "

No pre-requistes for the class.

MATC (Milwaukee Area Technical College) . I am in Waukesha county so can attend either MATC or WCTC. Anyone here familiar with either MATC or WCTC?

https://infonline.matc.edu/live-inf...NIDX=6920240750&SS=1&APP=ST&CONSTITUENCY=WBDF

I want to learn software technology that would enable me to design small simple objects or modify existing simple widgets . Once I have the design and dimensions down, I would want a CNC mill or manual mill to machine the object out of raw material or modify an existing widget to my design . Need to learn how to transfer designs from brain to computer and on to a CNC mill . Could also use Rapid Prototyping instead of milling for some ideas.

Possible Alternatives:

This course teaches Inventor
Description: This course introduces parametric solid modeling using Inventor Software. Course is focused on modeling skills for creating parts, assemblies, detail drawings. Rapid prototyping techniques are also introduced.

This course teaches PTC Creo
Description: This course introduces parametric solid modeling using PTC Creo (Pro/E). Students are introduced to modeling skills for creating parts, assemblies, detailed drawings and rapid prototyping techniques.

I went to MSOE so I know both colleges. I think the class with give you a foundation wherever you go but it will take time outside of the class to really learn it. You will also need to learn g and m code. Also beware of the costs of Solidworks.

Edit: How does a total newbie get 36 hundred posts?

From the three you've listed, Solidworks is the most popular followed by PTC Creo than Inventor.

I went to MSOE so I know both colleges. I think the class with give you a foundation wherever you go but it will take time outside of the class to really learn it. You will also need to learn g and m code. Also beware of the costs of Solidworks.

Edit: How does a total newbie get 36 hundred posts?

How does MSOE compare to MATC and WCTC and how does MATC compare to WCTC?

Leaving aside the cost of software, between Solidworks, Inventor and Creo PTC , which is better for someone in my position? I was thinking I could design something in Solidworks and then make the part in the MATC lab class or utilize their shop equipment.

If I only plan on doing manual milling, which of the above 3 software choices is best?

I started reading PM from around spring of 2004 and joined in spring of 2006. I am just a hobbyist but maybe some of my designs might amount to something. I joined PM because it's the only website that really goes into high quality industrial equipment, especially European stuff.

I used to only read the Deckel/Schaublin forum but over the years gravitated to other sub-forums. I have American, German,Swiss machines but not having a space to set it up in, don't have any manual machining experience either.

I would like a course that has hands-on instruction on using manual and CNC machines, including rapid-prototyping.

MSOE would be top. When I was there We had access to mills, lasers and 3d printers. I just use 2d cad for my protoype stuff because I know what the part should look like in my head. I get by with Draftsight and Sprutcam.

MSOE would be top. When I was there We had access to mills, lasers and 3d printers. I just use 2d cad for my protoype stuff because I know what the part should look like in my head. I get by with Draftsight and Sprutcam.

Reading their programs , it looks like MSOE is like a 4 year college . I am looking to take just a few individual classes ; may go for a program but only if it is something that requires just 2 semesters.

Solidworks is the most popular program in the majority of industries, except possibly for certain large sectors like automotive or aerospace. But even then it doesn't matter since 3D modelling as a concept is independent of the software platform and while it's a pain to switch once you are good at another, the fundamental concepts like the how to create solids or surfaces, feature trees and formalism like top down design are the same. I switched to Solidworks from Inventor in 2008 and while it was annoying for a couple of months as I missed certain clever things in Inventor while being yet to learn the clever things in Solidworks, the basic idea was totally the same. I think Solidworks would make you most employable right out of the box and if you got a job where they use an unusual CAD program, especially in a big industry, they'd probably train you.

Regarding cost, all 3D modelers are expensive although there are some new rental cloud options like Onshape which people are saying good things about. As a student you don't have to worry about it right away though since you will doubtless get access to Student Solidworks at some major discount. Having said that, you also need to consider if buying the full package would be a better use of your money than taking courses at all. There are so many online resources that it's pretty easy to teach yourself. What makes me a good Solidworks user is my 25 years of instrument design, not that I know the keyboard shortcut to bring up the sketch tools menu (although now you ask, it's "s")

Last edited:
Once you're enrolled, you can purchase an academic version of Solidworks from various retailers for under $90. This is a fully functional version, you just can't use it for commercial purposes under the license.

First I went to MATC in the early 80's for classes Downtown, took Silver Smithing, Air Brushing and courses in printing. I didn't take Machining because I had 4 yrs of it in High School at Cedarburg and at the time computers and CNC were in their infancy. So in 83-85 I went to NWTC in Green Bay for Model Making now called Prototype and Design which put me on the path to use CAM then Solid Modeling every day for the last 30 yrs. Now run the Student Machine Shop at ASU here in Tempe Arizona.

So from one Cheese Head to another here is my opinion.

SolidWorks has been around since 95 is the most used of all the middle of the road solid modelers.
Every CAD and CAM software reads native SW file (well almost) so that is a big positive.
SW has quite a few CAM softwares that run inside of it, HSMWorks, SolidCam, CAMWorks to name a few.
Only issue is cost for commercial and yearly main, cost for a hobbyist. Yes you can get a student version $86 from Novedge.com, need to send student ID info and usually need to be full time.
And yes this is my favorite CAD, have used since 97, worked for the VAR instructing and support, taught it at the Community College along with CAM and taught here at ASU.

Now for the others, they will all get what you want done NX, Catia and ProE\Creo are the big high end.
Inventor OneShape and Solidedge are Midrange like SW.
Fusion 360 is just a tad below midrange but moving up.

Inventor HSM has CAM internal based on HSMWorks, cost is around $7500 and up per yr.

Fusion 360 is cloud based (read up on it for particulars) also has CAM internal based on HSMWorks and you can get it for free as an enthusiast or $300\yr, there have been sales throughout the yr. for less usually around Novemberish.
So for you I'd look at this, hard to pass up free. But I don't know of many Tech or Community Colleges instructing it.

So best of luck on your endeavours to the world of Solid Modeling and CAM, there are alot of choices, you'll just have to find the one that fit you.

lenny

Back