What's new
What's new

NX 6 Thoughts?

g-coder05

Titanium
just got to play around with NX-6 and cant decide if I like it or not. It seems to be a mix of Catia and Solid Works. I still havnt found out how to offset a line in the sketch and the cam part is alot different than Featurecam. I was given the impression that this was a feature based cam system but IMO its not even close.
Anyone have some imput on this? It looks to be a powerful system but a large learning curve is to follow.

If I am not mistaken, the Siemens CAD/CAM solution is based entirely on UniGraphics which has been around for a long time and used with success in a lot of places.

Hi There

I am in a very similar position to you, we are moving from featureCAM to NX. For 3D machining using models it is a lot easier to import models and use cavity mill ops than FeatureCAM. I find it very strange to set up the program groups using folders etc... Unless you are used to modelling with something like Solidworks it takes a lot of effort to learn :crazy: but I think it is worth the effort. Has your NX supplier set up your template, we have a simplified template that has made things a lot easier.

Good Luck !!!:D

E.S

This was another shops version and i just got to play with it for a few hours. I didnt have any books or tutorials so I tried to feel my way through it. I figured out the solids in Featurecam in one weekend and Solid Works in about 2 days. I dont think im going to persue a purchase of NX right now.

It is software that takes time to learn, no doubt about it, once you have figured it out its good, if its your own money and you are pushed for time would you consider SolidCAM or CAMWORKS integrated into Solidworks if you got on ok with Solidworks?

I think you can get Solid Edge combined with NX CAM Express, I don't think you would have any trouble with that if you got on well with Solidworks.

Cheers

E.S

We use Solid Edge and import the .par files into NX 6. Works great since both companies are owned by Siemens.

We also use a template file, "seed part file", to start a new program, saves about an hour to two hours per new program. You will also like the edit parameters feature. If you have two similar parts in shape (say a 3 x 5 x 3 in block) that has a different 3D contour or different bolt hole pattern. You can replace the original with the new design without recreating the tool path.

I still havnt found out how to offset a line in the sketch

Does NX6 have the new interface that looks like Office 2006? SE is like that too, and I find it a little challenging to find the commands I'm used to. There should be a command finder at the bottom of the screen, type in something like offset and it will lead you to the command or icon. I find the new Synchronous Technology stuff awesome.

Does NX6 have the new interface that looks like Office 2006? SE is like that too, and I find it a little challenging to find the commands I'm used to. There should be a command finder at the bottom of the screen, type in something like offset and it will lead you to the command or icon. I find the new Synchronous Technology stuff awesome.

Mud, not sure about the Office 2006 interface, but with the NX5 release, they did a whole new facelift. The menus are all lined up on the right side of the page, and supposed to be a lot more similar where possible. Also, with the release of NX5 and now in NX6, there is indeed a command finder, i.e., a "binocular" icon. When you click that, you can type in the word that best describes what you want, and it will come with a list of choices, and you pick the one that you wanted. When you select that choice, it points to where it's "nested", so to speak. Of course, if it's something you're going to use a lot, you can put that in one of your toolbars.

This last week, I happened to open an old job I'd done in NX4, and while all the programs had the new style buttons, it was a mix of the old layout. Not to worry, just highlight all the ops, right-click and select "toolpath --> customize from --> and select from template in the next page. All Ops now have the new interface. Pretty sweet.

NX6 doesn't have the same office style interface as SE.

just got to play around with NX-6 and cant decide if I like it or not. It seems to be a mix of Catia and Solid Works. I still havnt found out how to offset a line in the sketch and the cam part is alot different than Featurecam. I was given the impression that this was a feature based cam system but IMO its not even close.
Anyone have some imput on this? It looks to be a powerful system but a large learning curve is to follow.

Easy one,

Draw your line and use the smart dimensioning to give it the offset distance required, also ensure you use the relationships to justify perpendicularity and paralellism amd so forth.

cheers
Vajutza

At the place I used to work at we went from Pro-E 2001 to NX6. I do not like NX6, but then again they just bought it and did not train us to use it. They just pushed us in the deep end of the pool and told us to lean how to swim. I real wish they had gone the extra mile and bought some training for NX6. I was using it for about a year and a half and I still did not like it. Very difficult to make a clearance hole coaxial to a tapped hole (or vise versa) and have it follow if you want to move the hole. Also did not care for the sketcher either and I missed reference pattering in NX6 (Pro-E was great in this). I really wish they would have give in wildfire a chance. But I guess that is why I do not work there anymore. Just my two cents for NX6

NX

Like any other CAD/CAM system NX takes a while to learn. It has also been around longer than most other systems. 30+years, so there are many, many options available and there is almost always more than one way to do the same thing.

To be successful you need to be educated in the use of the software. Do you have CAST? You can get online training at www.myigetit.com
Now I must admit I have bias opinion of NX (UG) since I have been using it for the past 25 years. Some of the issues raised so far in this thread point to a lack of education on how NX works. For example “Very difficult to make a clearance hole coaxial to a tapped hole (or vise versa) and have it follow if you want to move the hole.” This is a very easy task in NX once you know how. Many successful companies are using NX - General Electric, Northrop Grumman, United Technologies, Apple, GM(well maybe not such a great example), As well as hundreds of smaller companies.

I learnt to use Inventor at Trade school, then my work Purchased Solid Edge which is the stand alone Drawing module pulled straight from NX 6, I found it a unique experience and scratched my head more than a few times wondering why it was not like Inventor or Solidworks. I got the training modules and followed the built in tutorials so when it came to doing the training I found it easy. Now that I have been using Solid Edge and NX Cam Express 6 for a while now I just get frustrated using Inventor or Solidworks!

I think 3D modeling is a mindset in which you picture what you want then use the software to model it, people think in different ways hence why they choose the software that matches their line of thinking.

NX is in my opinion truly powerful and conforms to ISO standards which Quality Managers fall in love with.

I recommend to be persistent with NX it will click just keep in mind it is different from the other 3D packages and with further use you will come to understand why.

Cheers
Vajutza

Back