What's new
What's new

Nx manufacturing-drill- parametric recognition

Jordan83

Aluminum
I am using parametric recognition to group holes in a part. Then I am using hole making-drill to drill the holes. Since this is feature based, there doesn't seem to be a way to change the drilling depth. In a standard drill cycle you can change the drill depth by through bottom face, tool tip, etc. Is there a way to force it to drill to a certain depth rather than the feature depth? I realize this doesn't sound practical but I am in a situation where this is necessary. Thanks!!!

I don't use NX but I bet that's all your going to get out of a "feature" based recognition. It's just doing what the model shows.

Can you drill to Points?

You can overwrite the depth in the Feature Geometry dialog of the operation by opening the lock on the Depth parameter and entering a different value.

Mark Rief
Siemens PLM Software

Thanks for the replies.

markrief,
What I really need to know is what the mom variable is that is associated with feature depth. Do you happen to know the variable name? Thanks!!

I would try mom_cycle_feed_to.
To find a mom variable, set the value to something unique, run your post with the review tool on, and search the debug file for the unique value.

I would try mom_cycle_feed_to.
To find a mom variable, set the value to something unique, run your post with the review tool on, and search the debug file for the unique value.

Thanks for the reply mark. I cannot use the feed to variable because I am not actually feeding the tool into the part. I am only using the cycle to position the tool over the hole. But I need the hole depth so I am trying to find a variable associated with the feature depth that I see under the features tab. Since I can see the value, I assume I can access it some how through a variable. I realize this is unconventional, but I am trying to use nx to program an older ram edm

Thanks for the reply mark. I cannot use the feed to variable because I am not actually feeding the tool into the part. I am only using the cycle to position the tool over the hole. But I need the hole depth so I am trying to find a variable associated with the feature depth that I see under the features tab. Since I can see the value, I assume I can access it some how through a variable. I realize this is unconventional, but I am trying to use nx to program an older ram edm

If you can see the variable, then post with review on, open the debug file in a text editor, and search for the value.

If you can see the variable, then post with review on, open the debug file in a text editor, and search for the value.

I tried this and the variable is not present in the file. Does this mean that it doesn't exist as a variable?

I tried this and the variable is not present in the file. Does this mean that it doesn't exist as a variable?

That is correct. The debug files shows all the mom variables being set for each event sent to the post. In general, these are the parameters in and inherited by the operation to generate the path. I'm not sure where or how the feature depth is stored. If you really want geometry info, I think you would need to write an API program, and call it from your post.

Back