What's new
What's new

Object Outline Capturing/Tracing Techniques for CAM/CAD?

pmap93

Plastic
Hello experienced Machinists!

This is my first post here and im eager to learn!

I started to learn CNC manufacturing for my small company that does Foam inserts for protection of products.

Usually measure the object parameters and make an outline in Vectric Aspire. Then I pocket the Foam according to the object size, and sometimes a little smaller, so that the object will fit snug.

Now, lately I've been getting more difficult shaped objects such as antique items that has a lot of curves, or curvy metallic art prices.

I need its outline or I draw my own. But my second option is to trace the object (Sitting on paper) with a pencil and Image Trace it in Illustrator, and fix the size accordingly in Aspire to generate a toolpath. This proved to be Real difficult and inaccurate. (z-tapered objects cannot be traced, and prevents me to do so)

So I ask the forum,
Why techniques would you use to obtain an object outline for CAM or CAD?

Please Let me know your feedback!

I recently downloaded the app "dxf camera" to do just what you are after. I havent used it in anger but looks to be pretty cool. It takes an outline photo of your object and exports to dxf.

b9b8e42033ff530fb6c496b285d8ce5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

I recently downloaded the app "dxf camera" to do just what you are after. I havent used it in anger but looks to be pretty cool. It takes an outline photo of your object and exports to dxf.

b9b8e42033ff530fb6c496b285d8ce5a.jpg

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

There is a lot of perspective distortion in that type of an image. What you really need to do is project a shadow image onto a surface (with some sort of parallel light source) and then photograph the surface image.

True. I guess for foam inserts and artwork engraving of images should be reasonable as long as the distance from the camera to the piece is much larger than distance from the piece to background. Eg sit object (say a spanner) on sheet of paper. Take photo from a distance of 500mm or greater away. I have done it with a photocopier scanner with varying accuracy. Also traced object with a pen onto paper then scanned it. Import to cad and trace. Then scale accordingly based on original piece.

All depends on accuracy one is looking for i guess

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hello experienced Machinists!

This is my first post here and im eager to learn!

I started to learn CNC manufacturing for my small company that does Foam inserts for protection of products.

Usually measure the object parameters and make an outline in Vectric Aspire. Then I pocket the Foam according to the object size, and sometimes a little smaller, so that the object will fit snug.

Now, lately I've been getting more difficult shaped objects such as antique items that has a lot of curves, or curvy metallic art prices.

I need its outline or I draw my own. But my second option is to trace the object (Sitting on paper) with a pencil and Image Trace it in Illustrator, and fix the size accordingly in Aspire to generate a toolpath. This proved to be Real difficult and inaccurate. (z-tapered objects cannot be traced, and prevents me to do so)

So I ask the forum,
Why techniques would you use to obtain an object outline for CAM or CAD?

Please Let me know your feedback!

Splines are your friend :)....

dee
;-D

... Now, lately I've been getting more difficult shaped objects such as antique items that has a lot of curves, or curvy metallic art prices.

Here's a sort of off-the-wall suggestion but may work for you. There's a program on sourceforge called Free!ship. It's meant for designing boat hulls but it is surprisingly easy to use, creates excellent curves in all three dimensions, is easy to manipulate the curves to get what you want, and exports in a variety of common formats. I knocked out a canoe as a first experiment and it was easy, quick, and the iges output went clean into pro/e. Beautiful ! I was impressed.

Maybe worth a few moments to look at ...

(Only works in Windows, by the way. But ran fine on XP)

Back