What's new
What's new

Onecnc " The parameter is incorrect" ?

SND

Diamond
I was using the older XR4 Express version I have today and when I went to start to do toolpaths when I clicked on the icon it gave me a box that says "The parameter is incorrect" . Does the same if I click on NC setup at the top, or drill cycles, just won't like me to any toolpaths or anything related to it, can only draw now.
XR5 that is on the same computer still working fine so I finished the drawing and program on that.

XR4 was working fine last time I used it just 3-4weeks ago. Now when I open the last drawing/program I did on it, it won't even let me do a simulation or anything, just gives me the same error.
Is it possible its just a Win7 update that screwed it up? when I google " The parameter is incorrect " it seems to be something that also shows up sometimes with other CAD/CAM programs.

My first thought was to uninstall and then reload from the CD, anything else I should try first?
I suppose I don't really need it anymore, but for basic 2.5x I still prefer drawing it up with XR4 Express than XR5 Pro usually.

I logged on the onecnc forum and searched it but nothing came up and forum didn't seem very active lately so figured I'd try here.

thanks.

That is getting pretty old now, XR4 is. It might even be due to dongle drivers between Windows versions (10 probably requires signed drivers for everything), or 64 bit OS versus 32 bit OS from the old days. You might have to contact OneCNC tech support to ask about the dongle compatibility of the dongle you have. However, I think you would get a start up dialog requesting the serial number if the dongle is the issue. You might have to get an older dongle driver and revert to an earlier version because this is the sort of thing that Windows update will update without asking. Generally you have to uninstall a newer driver before you can install an older one.

Before reinstalling, try starting as a new user (create a new log on in OneCNC). If one of the custom files is corrupted, starting as a new log on should start with the defaults for OneCNC and then you can drag across what you need in the user folder until you find the bin file that creates the issue.

Possibly it could be an issue with the post file you are using being corrupted, or having a bad (or no longer acceptable or improperly defined custom variable). Try changing to the default post and see if that makes the error go away temporarily.

It's on the Win7 pc I've been using for 3-4 years only for cad/cam, same old dongle as always that I had gotten with XR4, never an issue until now. I did notice yesterday that even XR5 was running slower than normal though, it had to thinking about it every time I clicked on something on the NC/toolpath side. Gives me the same error if I open an old program drawn in XR4 and just click once on an operation in the toolpaths, won't show it to me, just freezes for a while and gives me the error.

On XR4 I'm not even able to get into the part for changing the post. As soon as I click NC-setup at the top tool bar I get the error icon. I'm not sure how to logon as a different user into Onecnc.
That PC almost never goes on the internet other than when I do online banking which takes a few minutes and is only ever few weeks, but sometimes windows does updates in that time so maybe an update did this. I had updated XR5, and attempted to update XR4 a few months ago, seemed ok after until yesterday. That computer had been shut off for a week or 2. Weird anyhow, maybe something else going wrong with the pc, but its a custom build and was supposed to be all good asus stuff, ah well.

I'll get myself a USB to CF adapter and see how it does and how it sends the code with the newer Win10 pc.

I would try a trial installation of the software in a newly named folder. Don't overwrite your existing installation, leave it be for the time being.

Make sure you start OneCNC from the new installation. You'll have to navigate to that folder and click on OneCNC_start.exe which then should start up and take you to the dongle serial registration screen. If that works, then you'll know your dongle and driver is ok. The driver for the dongle is Hasp, you might see it in add remove programs. It is possible that an XR5 update might have updated that driver.

Video drivers is another thing to look at, either update, or revert to an earlier version if a recent update there has broken something.

You can change your log on right at the start screen in OneCNC, because that is where your user folder is. That is a drop down list if you look at it, and you can make a new user right there.

I finally looked at that, ended up just hitting uninstall XR4 in windows7, then put the CD back in and loaded it back up. All good now, and XR5 is back to as quick as it used to be before. Probably be a windows update or something else that had messed with it. I'll see if it ever does it again.
Might update to XR7 anyhow when I get their Lathe version.

Back