What's new
What's new

Open Source CAM software

Is there any opensource CAM software for 3-axis machining?

They all tend to die right as they are picking up (a little) bit of steam. HeeksCAD (sp?) was still around last time I checked and there is a guy from the "professional" CAM industry that was interested and making some contributions with something he made open source. Been a while since I looked.

Philippines??? Thought you was in china?/QUOTE]

Two years of that place nearly drove me insane. not the Chinese people but the foreigners that think they are Chinese.

If you ever feel like writing up some of your experiences in China and posting them, I'd be very interested to read them. I've never worked outside the US (well, a tiny bit in Germany), so getting an idea of what it's like would doubtless be eye-opening.

If you ever feel like writing up some of your experiences in China and posting them, I'd be very interested to read them. I've never worked outside the US (well, a tiny bit in Germany), so getting an idea of what it's like would doubtless be eye-opening./QUOTE]

Ive been building a website about it. When I finish it I will put a link in the general forum. It will be a real eye opener for those who have never worked outside of their home country.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. After a thorough search I found that there is no great open source CAM software out there. PYCAM is the best available but processes only STL files.

The reason I am looking for opensource CAM codes is because I want to write an automatic code for recognising machinable features (like pockets etc) from a CAD model. Based on these features the code will automatically give an approximate machine hours required and hence will generate a price quote.

ANy help in finding CAD feature recognition codes?

Just about every cam product has feature recognition and it will spit out a program for you with time estimates. I tried linux cnc a bunch of years ago. Its way cheaper to spend the $5K on real software. You cannot beat Mastercam for writing addons. You can just download the development kit and start programing c-hooks. This is not needed in your application. You just use feature recognition. Mastercam does it in 2d and in 3D so depending on what exactly you have in mind you can use that software package. Try anything, they just about all do feature recognition to some degree.

AG

But the OP didn't specify free (and Fusion is only free for certain types of users).

FYI-
By definition open source is free; sort of. Any software produced under the widely accepted GPL can be sold for profit, such as a customized distribution or bundle, but the GPL'd software itself has to be offered freely available.

There are some proprietary open source situations (I think Apple is one of them) but GPL purists deny those to the bitter end, lol.

FYI-
By definition open source is free; sort of. Any software produced under the widely accepted GPL can be sold for profit, such as a customized distribution or bundle, but the GPL'd software itself has to be offered freely available.

There are some proprietary open source situations (I think Apple is one of them) but GPL purists deny those to the bitter end, lol.

You took that exactly counter to what I meant.

The OP wasn't looking for FREE specifically, they were looking for OPEN SOURCE specifically. Free does not equal open source.

I tried linux cnc a bunch of years ago. Its way cheaper to spend the $5K on real software
LinuxCNC is a real-time machine control based around a modified linux kernel and run on standard or industrial computer components ... it is not CAM, although there are a few 'canned cycle' features that you can use - but so do most controllers. It was actually developed by NIST as a 'standard' controller.

Open source is sorta bleak right now. Most of them do NOT do 3D well. PyCAM is probably closest, but frustratingly buggy and temperamental. FreeCAD's PATH module looks promising, but is very young and only partially functional right now.

If you want a low-cost (non open-source) CAM that invites plug-ins and scripts, and has a very active / supportive community, you can try CamBam. For the price point ($150?) it is very capable 2D and reasonably capable 3D, and is fairly easy to extend the functionality of in Python or C.

Back