What's new
What's new

OT: Photogrammetry for simple dimensions

nhtr86

Plastic
I'm not a 3d computer guy, so I'm looking for a simple and inexpensive solution if one exists, but willing to invest time in something that works well. We do some work structural work that doesn't require regular machining tolerances, 1/16" accuracy within an object that fits in a 10 ft cube would be very good and even 1/2" accuracy would be useful. My rudimentary understanding of what is out there from trying out Reality Capture and some other research suggests that I should be able to take a bunch of photos from the field, process them into a 3d point cloud, then use that for dimensioning, conceptual repair design, etc. A common application would be to build a model then take an ortho shot of it to create a flat view that can be dimensioned for plate sizing, hole layout, etc.

I have gone as far as creating a textured model in Reality Capture and was pretty impressed with that, but I wasn't able to figure out any dimensioning or do anything useful with it, probably because I was playing with the trial version.

I assume that you guys are working on problems a few levels beyond this, so I wanted to get your advice. Do you have software recommendations for what I'm trying to do? It seems like even if I get a decent point cloud model made, I might need another piece of software to manipulate and measure it. What is a good program for basic manipulation of 3d point cloud data, preferably with any textures displayed?
Thanks

There are a number of photo measuring systems out. They involve a calibrated camera (not anything really special either) and printed strips of circles and dots that get stuck every where. The software finds these geometric patterns and sorts out the 3d area. 1/16 is very easy. Photo Top? 3D laser scanners are also available too. I have a 2d laser scanner that I used to fit counter tops back several years ago. Scan the room with a point about every 2 inches, closer when you need more detail. Generated a dxf file that I imported into Mastercam. Cut the parts on a big CNC router and laminate them. Or make them from Corian or stone.
Had a job where the counter top started with left end butted to a wall, continued 8 feet and made 90+- degree turn for another 7 feet, then into a big arc ending by butting into another wall. Sheetrock with all the mudded seams and inside corners, outside corners. Top was pushed down into place as the fit was just about air tight most places. No caulking possible as there were no gaps.

Back