What's new
What's new

.PAR to .SLDPRT to .BBCD

rbregn

Aluminum
Ok, I'll try to explain this and hopefully someone can set me straight. We use BobCad V27.
We just purchased a business and all of their drawings are SolidEdge. .par and .asm formats, Bobcad won't open these. Bobcad salesman says that Solidworks will open these files, then I can save them in Solidworks format. Once I do that Bobcad will open Solidworks files. Bobcad sales a Solidworks program. The Bobcad salesman wants to sale us a Solidworks Cam program to write the code. My question is, why do I need this extra Cam program? Why can't I use the BobCAD Cam? My brain is full, I don't need to learn another program, if I don't have too :willy_nilly:

You don't have to purchase the BobCAM for solidworks. You can use solidworks to translate your solid edge files. From there you can continue to use BobCAD CAM V27 to machine your files.

If you wanted to machine your files inside of solidworks you could use BobCAM for Solidworks. This is an option but not necessary seeing you already own the V27.

If there are any other questions that I can help with , please let me know.

That's what I was hoping!I still have a long ways to go to learn V27! Let me make sure I have this clear. BobCad is selling us the Solidworks seed. We will be able to open the .par file in that, then I save it as a solidworks file. Then I can open it in V27 and do everything from there, or do I have to learn Solidworks also. Manipulate there, then transfer it to V27 to do the CAM translation. Does that make sense ?

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what that is either. CD? :)

rbregn, it sounds like you are in a bit of a jam. There are no Solid Edge file converters I know of other than the expensive stuff (Solid Edge itself, SolidWorks, Inventor possibly but doubtful). When I looked into file converters I read mention that Solid Edge has a utility that will convert all .par to .step (which BobCAD can open) in one shot. Maybe it is possible you can find someone who is willing to do this for you? I don't know if it is possible on a technical level but it might be worth looking into.

STEP is my preferred format with the exception of ACIS (.sat) for native Solidworks files that have configurations (they don't open properly). Long story short, STEP is a trouble free way to get those files into your V27 software.

Your other option is to purchase Solidworks to open and translate the files. This is not a terrible option in your predicament and in this case I think the sales guy is pointing you in the right direction. BobCAD does offer a version of SW called "Parts and Assemblies" that is significantly cheaper than the "full" version of Solidworks. Unless someone chimes in with a better option, this is the way I would go. Having to buy Solidworks to fix your problem but then getting to enjoy the benefits is not over-rated.

If I'm not mistaken, BobCAD's V4 software for Solidworks is virtually identical to your V27. Al will have to correct me on that I'm sure but it's pretty close. Once you get your feet wet in Solidworks, it may make sense to buy the plugin at some point. You can open your .par files and start CAM'ing them right away - right in Solidworks.

As soon as we slow down a bit I'm going to dive into Solidworks and more than likely will be doing the exact same thing and purchasing BobCAM V4.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what that is either. CD? :)

rbregn, it sounds like you are in a bit of a jam. There are no Solid Edge file converters I know of other than the expensive stuff (Solid Edge itself, SolidWorks, Inventor possibly but doubtful). When I looked into file converters I read mention that Solid Edge has a utility that will convert all .par to .step (which BobCAD can open) in one shot. Maybe it is possible you can find someone who is willing to do this for you? I don't know if it is possible on a technical level but it might be worth looking into.

STEP is my preferred format with the exception of ACIS (.sat) for native Solidworks files that have configurations (they don't open properly). Long story short, STEP is a trouble free way to get those files into your V27 software.

Your other option is to purchase Solidworks to open and translate the files. This is not a terrible option in your predicament and in this case I think the sales guy is pointing you in the right direction. BobCAD does offer a version of SW called "Parts and Assemblies" that is significantly cheaper than the "full" version of Solidworks. Unless someone chimes in with a better option, this is the way I would go. Having to buy Solidworks to fix your problem but then getting to enjoy the benefits is not over-rated.

If I'm not mistaken, BobCAD's V4 software for Solidworks is virtually identical to your V27. Al will have to correct me on that I'm sure but it's pretty close. Once you get your feet wet in Solidworks, it may make sense to buy the plugin at some point. You can open your .par files and start CAM'ing them right away - right in Solidworks.

As soon as we slow down a bit I'm going to dive into Solidworks and more than likely will be doing the exact same thing and purchasing BobCAM V4.

C'mon V28

:drool5::drool5:

Sounds like a big runaround and a lot of money to spend to open up some basic files that could be re- written in another software package cheaper than Solidworks.

Problem is I have over a thousand files that would be need to be redrawn.Which is really hard to do with no paper prints or sample parts.

BobCAD does offer a version of SW called "Parts and Assemblies" that is significantly cheaper than the "full" version of Solidworks That is what they are selling us. How does this differ from the full version?

I'm not sure of the difference between Parts and Assemblies and the full version of Solidworks, perhaps you can contact Dassault Systemes and ask them. I can understand if you have no drawings or sample parts that it would be a huge undertaking to re-design those parts.

We didn't buy the whole company, just the part with no Solidedge seats. They downsized their product line. We were told they were Solidworks files.I downloaded the viewer for Solidedge, but I can't do anything with the files, except look at them. We are getting the parts and assembly portion of Solidworks, and I'll dream of having the rest of it someday.

Here's one more idea, you could install the 30 day free trial of Solid Edge (its fully functional) and use it to convert all your data.

That's what I was hoping!I still have a long ways to go to learn V27! Let me make sure I have this clear. BobCad is selling us the Solidworks seed. We will be able to open the .par file in that, then I save it as a solidworks file. Then I can open it in V27 and do everything from there, or do I have to learn Solidworks also. Manipulate there, then transfer it to V27 to do the CAM translation. Does that make sense ?

if you get SolidWorks you can also get HSMExpress 2.5 axis for free as well AS Delcam 2.5 for free, I would use those or get BOBCam for SW you'll like working inside SW alot more! of course this is JMO

To the OP: Using the free 30 day version of Solid Edge, you should be able to save a format that BobCam reads. Possible formats are (I do not know what exactly BobCam reads): STEP, Parasolid, IGES, or DXF (for 2d work).

We bought the Solidworks, my computer won't run it! Now I am waiting for my new computer to show up. Nothing like opening Pandora's Box!

Having to buy Solidworks to fix your problem but then getting to enjoy the benefits is not over-rated.

We paid a $1300 to have a fairly reliable computer sent to us next day air to run the 2015 version of Quickbooks in the office just last week so I feel your pain. The old Vista machine just wouldn't cut it but it lasted 7 years so no complaints. I upgraded my shop computer for V26 and Solidworks late last year for the tune of $3200. Best money (other than Solidworks) I've spent in a while.

With thousands of files you are talking about I'll refer to my original thought. You're goint to be able to convert your files for a couple bucks each (one time cost) and you have the ability to model complex assemblies forever. Not a bad deal really.

Just trying to cheer you up, it will be worth it :)

Here's one more idea, you could install the 30 day free trial of Solid Edge (its fully functional) and use it to convert all your data.

This is definitely an option I would have investigated. The only thing I couldn't find out is if there was a way to do them all at once. Doing thousands of files in 30 days (and verifying the integrity of the conversion) would be a hustle. Anyone know if the Solid Edge Batch Utility programs works in the fully functional demo? Just for future reference on this thread.

OP - one word for you; outsource!

I have about a hundred parts to manufacture for 1 (one) product and all is now outsourced. You give them the models of your existing fixtures and they'll do the rest for you. If you are missing any fixture they'll do those also. When you look for CAM freelancers or Co that specialize... tons seems to turn up.

In my case outsourcing 100 parts cost less than buying the latest CAM package (a decent one anyway). Mind you my parts are not all that complex and most fits in your front pocket. All I need to do now is keep inventory of the cutters & wear, make sure the coolant is spot-on, fill the oil can in the back of the machines and press cycle start ;)

Something for you to consider is your focus is running a business (or buying them)

Back