What's new
What's new

partmaker users: how do you like it?

WILLEO6709

Diamond
Looking at possibly getting partmaker for a twin spindle single turret ( main/sub/ live/ y/ barfeed/ part catcher). How is support? I hear its a 5 day training or something..... does a savvy guy need all that or can one get basics rolling in a day or 2? Hows the standard posts?

We've been running it for the last 2.5 years and can't say enough good things about it.

Support is best in the business from my experience. Our sales guy (Brian Dinola) is an expert in the software and "gets" turn-mill. (he's probably seen and done it all) As for the standard posts...I think it's fair to say that most shops don't fully use all the capabilities of a twin spindle, y axis turn-mill, regardless of their CAM software, so posts will not be fully developed or set up in a way that isn't fully aligned with your procedures/preferences. We use the full range of capabilities of our Mazak QTN-MSYs, so we eventually found all the shortcomings of the post over about a 6-8 month period. Brian did our post editing...all edits done within an hour. (that's right...our sales guy did the post editing himself that quick)

The software is easy to learn, but fundamentally a bit different than most other CAM that I've run, which is what makes it so good for turn-mill. I think the five day training would be for the slow learners, or for guys who are just getting into programming with CAM. Regardless of your experience, I think there is tremendous value in getting a guy from Partmaker out to your shop for a couple of days to walk through YOUR first few parts (or partial, if you want to see specific feature/techniques) and to make the rough edits to your post, especially to convert your current [probably macro] operations to Partmaker, such as your bar feed, part transfer (with/without cutoff, push check, etc).

Undoubtedly, you'll find things you want changed in the post after he leaves...the thing I really like about Partmaker was that post edits didn't screw up non-related functions. For instance, if we found that cutter comp was backwards on the sub ONLY for polar milling, it could be changed without screwing up the cutter comp on sub/main XY/polar/cylindrical milling.

Haven't used it since Autodesk took it over but used it for about five years when it was still Delcam and loved it! Was extremely easy to learn and the post was pretty solid for the Star SV-32J-II we had. I imagine now that Autodesk has taken it over its only gotten better.

Back