What's new
What's new

Perpendicular to C axis interpolation with no Y in Gibbs?

Hazzert

Stainless
We're adding capability to our shop and I'm getting myself up to speed with the new options available to me. We're not under maintenance so talking to my reseller isn't a valid option.

I know I've seen demos of machines rough milling cam like shapes with a facemill using just X and C interpolation but cannot seem to find a way to do it in Gibbs. Using our fanuc 18T mill-turn post posts the code with Y moves which our machine can't do.

It's possible these were hand coded examples or done with Esprite or similar but I thought I'd check to see if anyone was doing it in Gibbs.

We're adding capability to our shop and I'm getting myself up to speed with the new options available to me. We're not under maintenance so talking to my reseller isn't a valid option.

I know I've seen demos of machines rough milling cam like shapes with a facemill using just X and C interpolation but cannot seem to find a way to do it in Gibbs. Using our fanuc 18T mill-turn post posts the code with Y moves which our machine can't do.

It's possible these were hand coded examples or done with Esprite or similar but I thought I'd check to see if anyone was doing it in Gibbs.

Have you plugged it into the machine and run it? Polar interpolation uses the x and y values to basically determine the c axis positions, and does not necessarily move the "y".

Basically with g112(haas code for polar interpolation) x is x and y is c.

The machine is arriving next week so no code on the machine yet. I hadn't considered that possibility since if I post working on the XY plane I get C axis moves.

Something to consider! I will have to check to see if I'm getting G112. Is it safe to ass-u-me that if no G112 is present and Y is posting the polar interpolation isn't available?

The machine is arriving next week so no code on the machine yet. I hadn't considered that possibility since if I post working on the XY plane I get C axis moves.

Something to consider! I will have to check to see if I'm getting G112. Is it safe to ass-u-me that if no G112 is present and Y is posting the polar interpolation isn't available?

I believe you are correct to assume that if polar interpolation is not turned on it will not read the y codes unless you have the y axis option. Not sure if it's going to necessarily be g112 on your machine, but that's what it is on my haas. You can output x/c code and that would work just fine, polar interpolation is just another way to skin the cat. It is easier for me to understand what I am doing as it's basically using center as a datum with a regular milling program and doing the math to calc out c positions for you.

Back