What's new
What's new

Post Processing software or Classes to learn to write post

DLATIOLAIS

Plastic
Good Morning,
I would like to learn to write post for CNC machines. I am using CAMWorks software with Mill/Turn machines. if anyone has any suggestion on where to start I would appreciate it. thanks

Each CAM system has its own Post Processing system, so there are no universal post learning classes or materials I am aware of. If they are still using it, CamWorks uses something call the UPG (Universal Post Generator). In the early days, you could look through the documentation that came with the program and find a series of manuals that describe how the system worked. I don't know if they still include this material.

Sometimes resellers or CAM company have classes, usually for a fee. Would need to contact them to find out what options are available. Last resort is the user forum (if it still exists).

Fred

I've been using Camworks for about 11 years, and writing my own posts for about 9 since I wasn't getting the support I needed. I mostly learned by myself, by looking through the reference document for the UPG, as well as looking through source files included to see how others have done it. Took some time, to be sure.If you have a little coding experience in anything, you can figure it out. I also suggest going on the forums on Camworks web site. A number of experienced post writers up there.

What I've done when I have code that's not quite right for my machine I load it into a spreadsheet and convert it to what I need. When i bought a new lathe dozens of programs from my older machine needed modification for the new machine's control. Fairly simple in a spreadsheet. I suspect there may be a market for that type code conversion.

Prior to having 4th axis CAM I would generate 3 axis code and wrap it onto a cylinder for 4th axis machining. Sort of a post-post processor.

If nothing else this process teaches you spreadsteeting which is a useful skill to have.

Most post processors I've looked at lately seem to be written the in the C language. Also not a bad thing to become familiar with, although it can be quite a steep learning curve if you haven't done any computer programming previously.

One of my customers uses Mastercam. They needed a 5 axis post so the ball end cutters could be oriented as much as possible away from end cutting. Cost them $15K for that post. Not a trivial thing to write though.

What benefits do you get from loading UPG into a spreadsheet? I would think the work would be easier done in a general purpose editor something like notepad++. You can even write a Plugin if you can get the language meta-definition. Plugin Development - Notepad++ Wiki
dee
;D

I would think the work would be easier done in a general purpose editor something like notepad++.

If you are indeed running UPG, you will want to use EC Edit, which comes with Camworks and UPG. It's not only a pretty good editor, but it will do a certain amount of syntax checking on UPG code by way of color coding what you type in.

Back