What's new
What's new

Post processor for Autodesk FeatureCam For Haas Lathe

jbrehm88

Plastic
Our company recently purchased a Haas ST-20Y Lathe. We use Autodesk FeatureCam 2018 currently and I am having troubles finding a post for it. Autodesk's website has a post library with a downloadable .cps file for a preconfigured post. The .cps file extension isn't recognizable with FeatureCam's Xbuilder post editor. I don't really know where to go from here and can't find any post's anywhere else online for this machine. A local programming company can write us a post for a good chunk of $$$$$. I'm wondering if anyone has a post out there or if there is any advise on where to go from here......

Where is your reseller/Autodesk rep in the middle of all this? Featurecam has a rather large library of posts. Has the rep refused to supply you with a post? The posts that are usually available from Featurecam may not be perfect, but do form a good basis for modification to get what you want.

The Autodesk website you visited and the resultant .cps posts are intended for Inventor HSM, Fusion 360 and HSMWorks; they will be of no use as they are Javascript based. Featurecam posts are edited with Xbuild a separate program that is supplied with Featurecam 2018. Depending on your background and motivation, a look at the help for Xbuild might be wise. Xbuild is one of the better and easier to work with apps for building and modifying posts.

It has been true for some time now that Featurecam/Delcam/Autodesk may want some $$ for creating/modifying posts for 5axis, Mill/Turn, and live tool multiaxis lathes. But I would think they have something for a Haas ST-##Y lathe already in their library.

I pretty sure one or more folk on this forum have Featurecam and a Haas lathe (Seymour?) so you should get a better response fairly soon.

Fred

Where is your reseller/Autodesk rep in the middle of all this? Featurecam has a rather large library of posts. Has the rep refused to supply you with a post? The posts that are usually available from Featurecam may not be perfect, but do form a good basis for modification to get what you want.

The Autodesk website you visited and the resultant .cps posts are intended for Inventor HSM, Fusion 360 and HSMWorks; they will be of no use as they are Javascript based. Featurecam posts are edited with Xbuild a separate program that is supplied with Featurecam 2018. Depending on your background and motivation, a look at the help for Xbuild might be wise. Xbuild is one of the better and easier to work with apps for building and modifying posts.

It has been true for some time now that Featurecam/Delcam/Autodesk may want some $$ for creating/modifying posts for 5axis, Mill/Turn, and live tool multiaxis lathes. But I would think they have something for a Haas ST-##Y lathe already in their library.

I pretty sure one or more folk on this forum have Featurecam and a Haas lathe (Seymour?) so you should get a better response fairly soon.

Fred

We purchase our FeatureCam through a local company and pay a yearly maintenance as well. They are the ones that quoted the $600 for the turn/mill "custom" post. I don't understand why they are charging as we have received a 5-axis mill post for free in the past.

In the program files located on the C: drive where FeatureCam is installed, they provide basic posts for mill, turn, and wire edm but not turn/mill.

I was hoping that someone in this community might have one already because I literally cant find one anywhere (for free).

-Jordan

Some time during Delcam's owner ship of Featurecam, they started charging for certain posts, in particular mill/turn or turn/mill. I got the impression from Featurecam guys number of years back that 5 axis posts were no big deal. BUT, mill/turn and/or turn/mill were relatively new and made for significant liability problems as the machine tool builders were constantly evolving these types of machines and controllers. Thus these machines were simply too hard to nail down without doing some custom work and monitoring the results; hence the cost. Not defending or condemning the practice, just the way it has come to be.

Hopefully someone using Featurecam with Haas will see this and have something. I will take a look tomorrow at what I have on disk from a few years back to see if a lathe+Y axis post is available. You might also post on the Autodesk Featurecam forum to see if anyone has something.

It may not make you feel better, but just for some perspective...saw a post somewhere on here earlier about someone getting a custom 5axis post from their Mastercam dealer - for 15K...:eek:

Fred

I just posted on the Autodesk FC forum today. Hopefully someone out there has something. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Dear jbrehm88
were You able to find a good post for ST20-Y? Recently we have purchased a ST30-Y (the machine did not arrive yet, but we want to be ready when it does)
The local dealer for Feature Cam has the same answer to all questions: "Autodesk helpdesk"

Back