What's new
What's new

Post Processor Editing Class

Hello,
In my work, we have a machinist that creaes his programs in mastercam 10 and transfers them to our cnc machines(a mori seiki with a fanuc controller and an old fadall)
the problem is that sometimes mastercam cretes a program and uses a G code that migt not be used by the old machine.(say for example, the program puts in a G76, while they typically use a G32).
He was telling me that when this happens, one of the ways to fix is to edit the post processor to change codes.
The question is, can you guys recommend a class that will go through editing post-processors so that the machinist can change the program to what he likes?
Any help appreciated!
Even a book that explains would be helpful.
Thanks.

I doubt you would find a universal class on post editing. In general terms, each CAM system handles post editing differently. For example, Featurecam has an editor called XBuild - very easy to make changes. HSMWorks/Inventor HSM use a scripting language (Javascript) to create posting files; more powerful than an XBuild environment, but requires more programming knowledge.

Mastercam is a bit more difficult to deal with than the above mentioned. However, if you wanted to get into it, guidelines to editing Mastercam posts are available. Don't have the reference here at work at the moment, but someone else here will likely be able to provide that reference or link (will look tonight if it isn't posted today). Given Mastercam's distribution system, they like to reserve post editing for their VARs, but it can be an expensive proposition depending on the changes you want made. However, can't hurt to ask and might be worth it to you.

Fred

CNC Software, Inc (MasterCAM) used to have a "Post Processor User Guide". My issue is now twenty years old; it was a couple years out of date when I bought it from MasterCAM, but was current for the posts then in use. It was useful for allowing me to modify their generic Fanuc post for the Centroid mill control I run. I have tweaked my post to the point where I never hand edit a program.

I would suggest if you are current with your maintenance or whatever is required these days, to contact CNC Software directly and see if they have a current edition for sale. If not, look for a copy used on E-bay or whatever. The syntax of the posts may not have changed all that much.

A bit of advice; back-up your existing post, and save any modified version with a new name. When modifying a post, "REM" out the line you are changing and add a new line (with a remark stating that it is a new line, date, and intended purpose). This makes it easy to back up a step when something doesn't work exactly as anticipated.

Good luck,

Dennis

Assuming you aren't keeping up with maintenance on your software (because you have Mastercam 10 instead of 2017), I'm not sure how this will go, but you could always try to contact your reseller and see if they have reference material handy for editing basic posts.

It's pretty simple when you get the hang of how to properly hack your way through it.

If by "MasterCAM 10" you mean "X", released in 2005, that's the version that followed Release 9, where I got off the merry-go-round, and the book I mentioned, which dated to 1997, worked with the posts provided with R9. It has an ISBN number, ISBN-10: 1883310008, so should be available used somewhere. Then again, a quick google on "MasterCAM Post Processor User Guide" brings up a bunch of hits for books or PDF files that may be useful for later versions.

Dennis

Hello Abrasive Machine,
I do not know of any classes that can help you, but I will gladly give you some basic tips on what ever cad/cam program that you use.
1. Save your post as the master, store it somewhere safe.
2. Copy and rename your post, I have at least 15 post that were all tailored from my master for two different machines.
3. There will always be improvements to make, so be disciplined and save your changes.
4. The posts that you have altered and saved are going to help you greatly. Treat these files like money.

otrlt

Hello,
In my work, we have a machinist that creaes his programs in mastercam 10 and transfers them to our cnc machines(a mori seiki with a fanuc controller and an old fadall)
the problem is that sometimes mastercam cretes a program and uses a G code that migt not be used by the old machine.(say for example, the program puts in a G76, while they typically use a G32).
He was telling me that when this happens, one of the ways to fix is to edit the post processor to change codes.
The question is, can you guys recommend a class that will go through editing post-processors so that the machinist can change the program to what he likes?
Any help appreciated!
Even a book that explains would be helpful.
Thanks.

USE THIS

Imspost v7.4R software : Builder postprocessor for machining CNC - YouTube

You can contact your reseller and ask for the post processor documentation. There is a lot of stuff there. Basically start poking around and changing things and look at your code and you can figure it out. For basic stuff it isn't that hard to figure out. There is also a good forum for post questions on emastercam.com. Read the stuff on there, go through your manuals, do some trial and error, and if you still can't figure something out, ask a question on a forum. I'm def not an expert, but can take a starting post and make it work for different machines, and that's how I learned what I have.

For just changing a code that is used for something, it is pretty easy. A variable gets referenced and you change what code gets output by that variable.

In your specific example of G76 to G32 though, there shouldn't be any post mod req'd. That is in the threading parameters, pick "longhand" (for G32) or "canned" (for G76).

You can also download for free some good posts at the emastercam site to use as a base.

I would suggest that you start out by watching some of the C programming videos you can easily find on the internet. Second, ask you retailer for a copy of the full MC documentation pack that includes the NCI parameter lits. You won't get too far without it. And, the post tutorial cd's that others mentioned above are still very good for the current versions of MC. The same process applies. Any of this items can easily be found for free on the internet.

Back