Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    Parallel is No bueno, IMO, because there will be huge step downs on vertical walls and nice small step overs on horizontal.
    You can change the angle in parallel to sort of work around those differences in step down/over. I think parallel is the easiest path to use, but does not always have great results... Constant scallop is pretty good for shapes like this IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    No, it's not a lofted cut, it's two simple extruded cuts. One has draft, the other is straight. They intersect on a common axis. The intersection is filleted. Thanks for offering to show me how to make the die differently, but its design is highly specific to its purpose and not subject to change. Anyway, having designed all this company's products in SW since 2001 I can assure you the issue isn't with the model, it's with the limitations inherent in Flowline. But thank you for the thought.
    Old,

I understand your hesitation to change the die, but sometimes "new tricks", yes pun intended.

One Feature most forget to use, I do myself, is REVOLVE boss or cut in a model, give you the same thing as your 3 features, (extrude-extrude with taper and a fillet), in 1 feature and the kicker is with the option to turn the 2 lines and fillet into 1 piece of geom using fit spline will give you one face instead of 3, only one surface then in MastCam.

here is a Screecast of how to make a single face. trick to make a single face in SW | Search | Autodesk Knowledge Network

So you know I have been using SW since 97 along with surfcam using single surface cuts to do exactly what you described, I have been the modeler of many a part as a model maker and have rebuilt many a feature just to get surfcam to cut the way I want using the single surface cut.

think of this as a tip and trick for the next time and see if it helps. I have many more tricks using SW advance options, like replace face, multiple bodies to subtract or indent the other bodies to get the required result.

hope this helps.

fitspline-cut-mastercam.jpg

3. Likes mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    Old,

I understand your hesitation to change the die, but sometimes "new tricks", yes pun intended.

One Feature most forget to use, I do myself, is REVOLVE boss or cut in a model, give you the same thing as your 3 features, (extrude-extrude with taper and a fillet), in 1 feature and the kicker is with the option to turn the 2 lines and fillet into 1 piece of geom using fit spline will give you one face instead of 3, only one surface then in MastCam.

here is a Screecast of how to make a single face. trick to make a single face in SW | Search | Autodesk Knowledge Network

So you know I have been using SW since 97 along with surfcam using single surface cuts to do exactly what you described, I have been the modeler of many a part as a model maker and have rebuilt many a feature just to get surfcam to cut the way I want using the single surface cut.

think of this as a tip and trick for the next time and see if it helps. I have many more tricks using SW advance options, like replace face, multiple bodies to subtract or indent the other bodies to get the required result.

hope this helps.

fitspline-cut-mastercam.jpg
    With all due respect to your experience with SW, you are grossly oversimplifying the problem. The part in question is a swaging hammer die whose cavity cannot be made as a rotated cut because it cannot be a round cross section. Obviously the postprocessing problem would be nonexistent by making it a round cross section, but a die made like that would seriously not work in a swager. And by "would not work," I mean exactly that—in the way that a square or triangular wheel would not work. Again, I appreciate your thoughtfulness but the cavity in the part is governed by parameters not amenable to out-of-the-box thinking. Sometimes we have to live with that. I suppose I could have detailed the cross section in the original post but didn't want to get into that because the rotary swaging process is not very common and we have a proprietary interest.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have a fillet in your cad data (sml, big, tangent or not) most likely it may (will!) cause problem with a 3rd party cam. Especially when it comes to flow technologies/anything.

Have the cavity modeled using a surface (driven by a continuous spline*important*). Revolve/convert this surface to a solid and use it as a subtracting body for your final part.

That way you remove the data about the fillet and all should flow back together

ps: no exp with SW, sorry if I am not using the native sw terms

6. Likes len_1962 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mkd View Post
    Just use Surface Finish Scallop
    done deal!!

Surface Finish blend might be decent, but won't beat scallop, IMHO.
    I didn't mention this in the original post but of course the cavity is roughed using Scallop. However, used as a finish toolpath, Scallop leaves some of the feed marks across the cavity, which is what I was trying to avoid. At any rate, problem is solved, marks are faint and longwise which is functionally advantageous, everything be feelin' groovy. Thank you all.

8. Likes mkd, Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suppose I could have detailed the cross section in the original post but didn't want to get into that because the rotary swaging process is not very common and we have a proprietary interest.
    Well yes that would be way helpful, but the machined part sure in the hell looks like a half circle on each end.
    Not sure if what you showed is in your tool or you just modeled something to try the Flow cutting.

I am just trying to help you get a clean surface that will allow you to use a single surface Flow in MasterCAM, I really do not care what you are making, just want to stop your struggles getting a clean surface cut using CAM.

model the surface you desire save a shit load of time on the back end, alot of what I cut I am not allowed to touch, has to come off the machine clean, you know how Industrial Designers are, fussy.

As THCustoms stated, a single spline (as I showed) can be used in many 3D features, lofts, sweeps and as I showed revolves to get one homogeneous surface\face in most all of the solid modelers as well as some CAM software.

Guess you'll just have to find the correct toolpath in MasterCAM to not get the jumping, not sure if Master has Morph or blend or ?? that goes across all the selected surfaces\faces you select with a smooth path.

so sorry I could help you this time, maybe next time.

have a great week.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep, blend is a good one. Works similarly to flowline but in more cases. Takes a little more setup though, but not much.

11. Likes len_1962 liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't mention this in the original post but of course the cavity is roughed using Scallop. However, used as a finish toolpath, Scallop leaves some of the feed marks across the cavity, which is what I was trying to avoid. At any rate, problem is solved, marks are faint and longwise which is functionally advantageous, everything be feelin' groovy. Thank you all.
    If you come across this again, plan to model those features you intend to flow "with a spline" in advance. Really solves these glitches down the pipe (continuity, CAM, etc etc...)

Was playing with your model. Notice the continuous guide spline selected in orange (first pic). That's what drive the surface/solid cut and the CAM. The only way to both model + achieve a flow on a part like this really :/ (same with any cad, SW, whatever)

01.jpg

02.jpg

13. Likes len_1962 liked this post