What's new
What's new

Programmer job description

pjarmon

Plastic
We just got a form from our H.R. lady that ask us to write our job description. As we sit in the programming office discussing the many things we do. There have been many colorful and insightful anecdotes. I just wanted to see what you guys would use to describe what you do.

We just got a form from our H.R. lady that ask us to write our job description. As we sit in the programming office discussing the many things we do. There have been many colorful and insightful anecdotes. I just wanted to see what you guys would use to describe what you do.

imagination, magician, god :D

imagination, magician, god :D

That made me laugh. Many of us around here have felt more like a magician than a machinist sometimes. Most of us have a magic wand in our boxes for those special occasions too (wood dowel painted black, with white tips). I've seen them mounted in mag base hovering over a job, chucked up in a mill, and just plain old waving furiously at a job lol. Whoever is working on the impossible job at the time earns the nickname Merlin.....

Edit: avoid the use of "fast paced environment", nothing screams sweat shop like the overuse of that term.

I"d say my main task is to take a part designed by someone who knows nothing about how to make a part. Said part cannot be held easily, is overtoleranced, and is essentially a pipe dream, and somehow figure out a way to make it. Oh, and by the way, we need to start running it right away.

I"d say my main task is to take a part designed by someone who knows nothing about how to make a part. Said part cannot be held easily, is overtoleranced, and is essentially a pipe dream, and somehow figure out a way to make it. Oh, and by the way, we need to start running it right away.

Seems that up pretty well.

should have added don't want to pay either.

Last edited:
Machining for our shop.... I might equate it to someone who bought a farm with toxic soil, an abandoned burned out tractor, and a silo that leaks so bad that the grain is stored anywhere and everywhere so long as it's off the books. Now the soil is fertile and growing, the tractor's smoking but putting around, and the silo still leaks but we know how much and when. But all in all, our magic bean stalk operation is starting to make money.;)

So my job description? Psychotic yet successful metal farmer?

...Bingo!!!

Couldn't have said it any better

You read my mind... I'm doing that right now. And I cannot redesign the block because the holes are already drilled and tapped!

I am getting the feeling all you guys think machinists should be laying flower petals in your walk way. That is why I do my own programming. ;/(just me)

Robert

Back