What's new
What's new

Creating surfaces from a solid model in Soildworks

jw23

Plastic
I was given a part file generated in Solidworks. It is a solid, but I would like to break it up into surfaces so I can program just 2 areas. I have a older version of Solidworks somewhere around 2009 I believe. I will be programming in MasterCam 9. I thought it should be easier to convert in Solidworks but I have very little knowledge in using it.
Any help would be great.

MasterCam 9

I was given a part file generated in Solidworks. It is a solid, but I would like to break it up into surfaces so I can program just 2 areas. I have a older version of Solidworks somewhere around 2009 I believe. I will be programming in MasterCam 9. I thought it should be easier to convert in Solidworks but I have very little knowledge in using it.
Any help would be great.

Guessing that you already open and convert file in mastercam using autodesk. Now you can hit "create","surface", "next menu", "from solid". Good luck

Any help would be great.

easy, just control select the 2 faces you want, go to file save as, pull down to iges, name the file and click save, then a window pops up that ask you do you want the selected faces or selected bodies or all bodies, click faces.

done now open the iges in master or whatever CAD\CAM you are using.

Attachments

• select faces.jpg
    select faces.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 980
You could also go to the surface tab (right click on features and select it if it isn't there) and use offset surface. If you put in an offset of 0mm it just copies the surface.

You could also go to the surface tab (right click on features and select it if it isn't there) and use offset surface. If you put in an offset of 0mm it just copies the surface.

Yes you are corrrect but I wasn't sure how Mastercam would bring in the solid with the surfaces, so to import an IGES would be cleaner.

Back