What's new
What's new

Rhino Sales = Dumb

behindpropellers

Stainless
So I would like to learn another solid modeling program. I download the software.

A week later I get a reply asking about it. I say I want some training and give my zip code.

I get a reply from another person asking where I am at. I give my zip.

They ask where? Are they so lazy they can't type in a zip code and see where I am?

How about... I see you are near city, state. There is a class xx miles from you and it starts on XX and is $XX.

????

So I would like to learn another solid modeling program. I download the software.

A week later I get a reply asking about it. I say I want some training and give my zip code.

I get a reply from another person asking where I am at. I give my zip.

They ask where? Are they so lazy they can't type in a zip code and see where I am?

How about... I see you are near city, state. There is a class xx miles from you and it starts on XX and is $XX.

????

Yes well, you could have avoided the week wait with about three clicks on the main Rhino website:

Training Search Results

Not to say they shouldn't have responded sooner - I don't know who you sent your mail to and who replied, but it's pretty unusual that they drop the ball... I usually get stuff from McNeel central immediately after they receive it, and their customer support is second to none..

--ch

remember Rhino is not a solid modeling software, its a surfacing software.

Catia\SolidWorks
NX\SolidEdge
ProE\Creo
SpaceClaim
Alibre
Key Creater

are solid modelers

Another solid modeler, to what end?

If you're looking for something with better surfacing capabilities than SW, I'd look into Catia, UG or ProE. But yeah, Rhino is just a surfacing package.

Another solid modeler, to what end?

If you're looking for something with better surfacing capabilities than SW, I'd look into Catia, UG or ProE. But yeah, Rhino is just a surfacing package.

Alright, I mis-thought. I wanted to look deeper into a better surfacing tool.

Regardless.... I won't buy something that I can't get training on. NO.....I'm not driving/flying to go to a class.

Tim

Tim,

I don't know of a better surface modeler than Rhino, bang-for-the-buck. Rhino + Tsplines allows you to import surfaces and manipulate them within the SWorks environment with push-pull nodes. This is about as good as it gets for surfacing integration with SW. You'd have to spend a lot more money to get close!

Rhino to SolidWorks with T-Splines - YouTube!

As for Rhino and Tsplines, I don't know that you couldn't learn it by following the numerous blogs and bulletin boards, working along in the various tutorials found there. Tsplines in particular, has a vast and very active forum of Rhino users to bounce ideas off of. You seem like a sharp guy and if you know the basics of SW surfacing, you should have absolutely no issue with picking up Rhino, even on your own. SW is a real chore to surface in...

T-Splines • View topic - Weekly modeling challenge

Good luck.

Regardless.... I won't buy something that I can't get training on. NO.....I'm not driving/flying to go to a class.

Well, in part you're feeling the effects of the American way of doing things - as one particular big online cad-store type reseller (that offers zero training) has undercut the retail price of Rhino (20% less than retail), and most people buy on price only, they have virtually cornered the market, most of the smaller local resellers who might offer training have gone under long ago, as there's no way to stay in business with that little profit. You would think that a country of 300 million people that holds about 40% of the market for Rhino worldwide would have more than a half dozen resellers offering classroom training - but nope...

There is still hope however, there are online classes - McNeel offers some, you can find them with the link I posted earlier, and there are others. They appear to be pretty reasonable in price. There are also quite a few universities, junior colleges, high schools and adult education programs that offer classes. Unfortunately, there isn't a centralized listing for those, so you would have to do some research to find one near you. The advantage with those last is that you would even qualify for an educational copy of Rhino.

In the end, it's up to you to decide if if Rhino is the right program for you considering price, performance, learning curve/training and what you need to do with it.

--ch

Alright, I mis-thought. I wanted to look deeper into a better surfacing tool.

Tim

Or perhaps, if you gave more information, we might better access the problems you're having with surfacing within SW.

SW is perfectly capable, but it takes a lot of time, not to mention the many workarounds necessary to creating good surface models.

studfinder.jpg

Back