Saw a Solidworks CAM demo at the 2018 SW Launch Event in Austin (MLC CAD) - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    That is why you need to insure your dongle, insurance companies say they do not insure software, well a dongle is hardware and they have to cover that, no different than having your computer stolen.
    My software and hardware are insured, for fire and theft. That doesn't cover loss by a carrier. If I insure a dongle in an overnight envelope for $9K with UPS that's $89 just for the insurance, for something that costs ~$10 to replace. I find that disturbing, and lets not get into how UPs and Fedex are to deal with over a loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    My software and hardware are insured, for fire and theft. That doesn't cover loss by a carrier. If I insure a dongle in an overnight envelope for $9K with UPS that's $89 just for the insurance, for something that costs ~$10 to replace. I find that disturbing, and lets not get into how UPs and Fedex are to deal with over a loss.
    Mud,

Ah yes shipping insurance, that did slip my mind, but the Dongle is worth $9K because it is the hardware just like a computer, so that small cost can be written of on taxes.

this is why dongles are getting fazed out and locking software to the mac id of the PC, surfcam will no longer replace the dongles if they go bad, got an email a while back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    so that small cost can be written of on taxes.
    OK, will you pay it for me so you can deduct it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    OK, will you pay it for me so you can deduct it?
    either you buy the insurance or not to ship and hope to hell it doesn't get lost, no different that paying for extended warranty on a car, TV or whatever, but if lost the $89 turns into $9000 to buy a new seat, this shit sucks but hey it is what it is.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, so dongles are being phased out. But what does that mean for licenses that are cloud based? If I choose not to renew one year, am I not able to use that license? Subscription based licenses suck for small guys who may not be able to afford the annual upkeep on an expensive program. Im running an old version of solidworks that has been doing very well for me, have mostly been exporting files. But now I've taken on a new client who is sending me solidworks files from a newer version. They are not backwards compatible. Been thinking about upgrading, but the gain is not necessarily outweighing the cost.

6. Likes Chris59 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spruewell View Post
    Ok, so dongles are being phased out. But what does that mean for licenses that are cloud based? If I choose not to renew one year, am I not able to use that license? Subscription based licenses suck for small guys who may not be able to afford the annual upkeep on an expensive program. Im running an old version of solidworks that has been doing very well for me, have mostly been exporting files. But now I've taken on a new client who is sending me solidworks files from a newer version. They are not backwards compatible. Been thinking about upgrading, but the gain is not necessarily outweighing the cost.
    2 things you can do.

1) get a free seat of OnShape, open your clients newer SW file and save out as an older SW file so it opens in your version. It converts it to a 2001 version but it is a dumb model, no feature, just a solid.

2) have your client send you a Parasolid, they'll have to pick the correct build of it to match your version of SW under the option when saving. Or step, iges, sat save as works too.

what version of SW are you on?
    Does your CAM software open SW file directly?

of course your last option is to upgrade to the latest SW and pay for all the missed back maintenance up until it would cost for a new seat, so depends how old your SW seat is.

now if this costumer is going to flood you with work upgrading might be the way to go, if a one time deal, not so much.