What's new
What's new

Sizing Aluminum Plate to machine a curved surface.

CaliEng

Plastic
Hi guys,

I know this is a very easy question for all you experienced machinists so I am asking for any help as I am not a machinist.

I need to get a parabolic surface machined and I have the x,y,Z data. I know I can use the "z" data to determine the thickness of the plate
that I would need to machine the parabola. I also know that you can tilt the aluminum plate when you machine it thus enabling you to use a thinner plate. I kinda have an idea of how to do it but I want to make sure.

Can someone please explain how one would determine what thickness plate to get by the drawing alone. I guess one could measure the distance between the lowest point on the curve to the highest point and this would tell me the thickness.

Thanks in advance.

Roy

DO your have or access to a 3D CAD program like SolidWorks?

since you say you have the 3D data making the material would be simple

You say you need to get a parabolic surface machined, does that mean you're not going to be doing it yourself?

If so provide your model or points to the shop doing the work and let it be their problem what size material to use for their process. There's nothing more frustrating that a customer providing nominal sized material and expecting a finished, fully machined nominal part from the material.

Back