What's new
What's new

Solid Edge vs. Solidworks, anyone know both?

Harri

Cast Iron
Trying to decide between Solid Edge and Solidworks and have done a trial of both. I'm interested in actual hands-on experience of current versions.

My observations:

-SE is quite a bit cheaper, both initially and for maintenance
-SW seems more polished
-SW has huge customer base here but SE should import both SW drawings and models seamlessly
-SE has synchronous, SW doesn't
-SE integrates with our CAM (NX)
-Both have excellent support here

Any other considerations? A short trial while trying to keep up with work doesn't really give much insight..

Thanks/Harri

Last edited:
I bought Solid Edge in 2014 after an extended evaluation of both Solid Edge and Solidworks. My preference would have been Solidworks, but Solid Edge sheet metal modeling could make certain models that Solidworks could not, so I got Solid Edge. On the other hand, the particular feature I use (lofted flange) is broken after ST7, so I still use that version for sheet metal modeling and ST9 for everything else. Each yearly release of Solid Edge adds significant functionality, and sometimes that changes fundamentally how the program works, and so there is always a learning curve for each new release. I find that really annoying having to relearn the program every year.

Here were my impressions in 2014:

* Solid Edge is better for design modifications, especially in synchronous design mode.
* Solidworks assemblies are easier to create and modify.
* Solidworks drawings are quicker to create, but not as flexible as Solid Edge.
* Solid Edge sheet metal modeling is far superior.
* Solidworks has far more choices for integrated CAM.
* Solidworks is much easier to learn.
* Solid Edge has a more extensive surfacing modeling.
* Solid Edge accepts Solidworks models. I don't know if the reverse is true.

In 2014, Solid Edge was more expensive for both purchase and maintenance. Solid Edge provides a permanent license. I haven't checked on pricing since.

Thanks Jgrasty, very detailed answer. Could you elaborate on assembly creation and modification?

Thanks/Harri

Do you have NX or NX CAM express? Maybe pricing in Finland is different...
But when I bought my first NX license back in Version 8... the cost of NX 3+2 was equivalent to buying Solidworks and any regular CAM program out there...

Here in the states its about $15k for CAD and 3+2 CAM license bundle.

CAM Express. I don't know the exact price for NX modeling, but I was told it would be a nasty surprise. The deal for SE is very good so there might be quite a gap to NX, but I'll check.

Thanks Jgrasty, very detailed answer. Could you elaborate on assembly creation and modification?

Thanks/Harri

With Solidworks, during assembly, you can click into a part and select any feature inside the model, including sketches, to serve as references for assembly. Solid Edge does not have this capability. This feature is especially useful for parts that don't have easily accessable features, for example, parts that mostly consist of surfaces.

Thanks jgrasty, I'll check this out on my trial SE, I suppose you can still use planes when everything else fails. Pity...

With Solidworks, during assembly, you can click into a part and select any feature inside the model, including sketches, to serve as references for assembly. Solid Edge does not have this capability. This feature is especially useful for parts that don't have easily accessable features, for example, parts that mostly consist of surfaces.

Yes, you can well in ST9. You have turn on linked edges. I use Solid edge over solidworks because it's cheaper and alot flexible on design changes. I do alot of concept designs so design make change repeat.

Do you have NX or NX CAM express? Maybe pricing in Finland is different...
But when I bought my first NX license back in Version 8... the cost of NX 3+2 was equivalent to buying Solidworks and any regular CAM program out there...

Here in the states its about $15k for CAD and 3+2 CAM license bundle.

It depends on what you consider workable CAD. Where as the CAM side of NX is basically optioned out by axis (2.5, 3, 5 and Turning) along with some add ons for things like Blisk and G-code machine simulation, the CAD side is crazy with the options and packages, and they really screw you.

For example, if you want basic parting line analysis (choose the parting line on the body, have it color the model to see if you have decent draft), you need to step up to the full mold making tool package for another $5k or so. I do injection molded parts where I need to design around parting lines and give drafy, but I send them out to be tooled - I have no need for all the mold making tools, but I absolutely need draft analysis!

Or surface modeling- you get some very basic tools, about where SolidWorks was years ago. NX has amazing freeform surface tools that let you take a very prismatic model, and modify edges and faces to make really amazing stuff, very easily, and with full parametrics. If you want it though - you're paying something like $23k for a full seat of NX Mach Industrial Design, for some crazy price like $23k.

Very basic modeling in NX is reasonably pried, and the CAM side is reasonably priced - but the CAD tools that make the complexity and bullshit of dealing with NX and Siemens are not available until you get into the eye watering price-tags.

gkoenig, I checked with our rep today and he pretty much agreed with what you said. Plus there is the option to upgrade to NX CAD and SE will be fully refunded.

Harri

Yes, you can well in ST9. You have turn on linked edges. I use Solid edge over solidworks because it's cheaper and alot flexible on design changes. I do alot of concept designs so design make change repeat.

Thanks, that's good to know. I've barely scratched the surface (ha!) of ST9.

I used SE for about 8 years and liked it very much. I switched jobs and was given my choice as they didn't have either one at the time. I chose SW this time, and after 3 years it is just different, not better not worse. I have always found a way to do in SW what I could do in SE. So why the switch? In our area of the US and in our type of work I could find NO SE users to hire, but tons of SW users. This time around I want to choose users not software. This is working out well.

Back