What's new
What's new

is Solidcam I machining really 70% faster

jc39

Plastic
Hi All,

Is solidcam I machining really 70% faster it is expensive but very much worth it if it can hold up to that claim.

I use and like imachining for some tasks. But it is absolutely astounding in its ability to generate code that will eject workpieces from even mildly marginal workholding. It holds the absolute record in my shop for spitting things out of vises, off of dovetails, etc. (It tries to go full depth whenever it can.)

70% faster - than what? Hard to say.

When it works, it is absolutely the bees knees, at least for me...

I haven't really done any production(primary business is engineering). I do like it for the simplicty of click and mill. I have found that for some things its a lot faster, for other things its slower. For example, I had to do a lot of narrow channels in 17-4ph, simple slotting with a z-carb was quite a bit faster. I did a similar project in 316SS with slightly wider slots and iMachining was quite a bit faster than slotting.

Actually, Mtndew raises (reraises) a great point. Which has multiple answers...

1. INSIDE solidcam, you can often program something faster with imachining than with other techniques.

2. INSIDE solidcam, imachining will often (but not always see JFettig's post) make code that has a faster runtime compared to what you generate in other ways.

3. It is quite easy to get it to make code that will push the workholding/machine/tooling much harder than you would by generating things by hand, and do this automatically. So w.r.t. other mechanisms inside solidcam, it can be net faster both to program and to run.

How does it compare with the technologies of mastercam/delcam/featurecam/tebis? Volumill?

I have no idea. And it seems it will cost me a fortune to find out.... (Delcam never even got a round to sending me a manual....)

Volumill is a plugin for Gibbscam which is another full depth non overloading(cutter) toolpath that is exceptionally fast. I imagine the results are similar.

Volumill is a plugin for multiple CAM packages. We have the 2D for CamWorks. In a head-to-head I made the HSMWorks 2D Adaptive Clearing beat Volumill with the same programmed optimal feed and speed, and was easier on the machine ('97 Fadal) to boot.

Can't speak to iMachining though.

I also forgot to note that I have never thrown a part and I usually torque my parts to 15-30ft-lbs in a Kurt D675 or 3600v.

Volumill is a plugin for multiple CAM packages. We have the 2D for CamWorks. In a head-to-head I made the HSMWorks 2D Adaptive Clearing beat Volumill with the same programmed optimal feed and speed, and was easier on the machine ('97 Fadal) to boot.

Can't speak to iMachining though.

The iMachining algorithm actually has the edge over HSMWorks' 3D adaptive in a few ways.. They did the work of linking it to a fairly robust feed and speed calculator; as long as you have a hardness number, it will get you in the ballpark.. Second, it will vary stepover based on effective depth of cut, probably one of the oldest requests of HSMWorks users. It's somewhat of a shame, the rest of the software just suffers from lack of forethought and integration.

It's fast. It certainly isn't 70% faster than other good systems but it makes good code quickly and makes finished parts fast.

I don't have much experience with other CAM packages but I have no reason to look.

Reminds me of titan claiming he runs his machines at 800 inches per min.:icon_bs:
Most up to date cam packages use similar tool paths with high speed machining techniques as well as traditional ones.
I would compare a few diff ones and use the one that is the best for your application and user friendly to you.

I think a lot of the results have a lot to do with the machine being used. Backlash of the ballscrews, rigidity of the table and head (type of linear rails and fit), amount of wear, design of the spindle . Then with the control, block processing speed, accel and deccel and response time of the servos. Accel and deccel and response time of the spindle drive. l would like to see the difference between cam programs run on the same machine.

The iMachining algorithm actually has the edge over HSMWorks' 3D adaptive in a few ways.. They did the work of linking it to a fairly robust feed and speed calculator; as long as you have a hardness number, it will get you in the ballpark.. Second, it will vary stepover based on effective depth of cut, probably one of the oldest requests of HSMWorks users. It's somewhat of a shame, the rest of the software just suffers from lack of forethought and integration.

Yeah, but in 2D HSMWorks beat Volumill. Maybe iMachining would have stepped it up on rDOC but then it's doing the thinking for me and I hate that :D

Like I said, I can't speak to it, never gotten a demo, just that advertising cd that came in a CTE issue like six months ago. If they had a trial like HSMWorks does I'd install it at home, but mostly just out of curiosity.

If they had a trial like HSMWorks does I'd install it at home, but mostly just out of curiosity.

Call up a reseller, they'll get you a 30 day trial.

I generally agree with the "it's doing the thinking for me and I hate that" but it works, and works really well. It bases it on spindle power I believe. It also varies RPM based on depth of cut as well. Its quite interesting.

You can adjust how much horsepower it uses. I had to turn out down because I was stalling my vf2 spindle with a 1/2" endmill. What it does really differently and I might be wrong not having used other hsm systems is that it's not a constant feed rate. Nearly every line will have a different feed rate based on the conditions in that portion of the cut. You don't have to use the built in speed and feed wizard either. You can turn it all off and control everything manually. Can't imagine why you'd want to but you can.
It's fast to program though. The 3d iMachining has a prismatic part setting now the will completely rough your 2.5d part without having to select any geometry or levels beyond a upper and lower.
Jordy

I wouldn't use it just for the fact that they remind me of Apple - iMachining? COME ON MAN! :wrong:

I'm sure their High Speed algorithms used are about the same as 80% of other CAM manufacturers.

Back