What's new
What's new

solidcam mirroring

allenp

Aluminum
hello,
I'm gonna be using mirror functions alot because we mainly produce 1 "normal" and one mirrored part, but I'm just beginning to program and I wonder how do you create entire cam process from "normal" part in mirorred position?
But I don't just want to create G code for mirrored part(which by the way, changes direction of milling process which is bad and I dont know how to fix it), but also whole new process which can be changed without changing original model.

When you pick toolpaths for a mirrored model the only way to retain climb-cutting mode is to bite the bullet and redo it with new entry and exit points. Is it a pain? YES. We machine 21 castings that are mirror-imaged for a total of 42 individual part programs with about 3,800 lines each. They involve a lot of 3D contouring. For 2D operations you can often draw toolpaths for right and left and translate them from one model to another, provided the shapes aren't grossly different.

If you right click on the operation / s you click on transform and then select mirror. click how you want to mirror it, x,y, or x and y and your mirror rotate point. You must have a post that supports the translate functions. Old posts will not work.

One solution is to apply left hand cutters, but nobody seems to offer them in ballnose form. You could have some custom ground, but then you have to decide what costs more- custom cutters, or reprogramming parts.

There is no need for left hand cutters with the right post. Back in 96 or so we used a mirror post for mirroring parts, but you had to reverse you climb cutting to conventional, but no reprogramming or left handed cutters. better than reprogramming.

Reread. You will have to repost or get left handed cutters if you can. Posting is not a big deal if it is programmed correctly. I don't edit 99% of my posted programs.

Last edited:
Couldn't you ctrl+left mouse click to duplicate the part and then just mirror it in the assembly using mates? Maybe I'm missing something here - could you post a pic of the part?

Last edited:
You need to reverse your toolpath and switch to milling conventional get climb milling on your mirrored part. There's also a setting that you can set to link your mirrored part to the original operation or not.
Jordy

When you pick toolpaths for a mirrored model the only way to retain climb-cutting mode is to bite the bullet and redo it with new entry and exit points.

The mirroring option became much better in solidcam2016 . Now if you mirror a operation in solidcam2016 it keeps the cutting direction . A real time saver for a lot of people out there !

hi all,
Please advise. how to do mirroring using postprocessor functionality? I have a block "mirror" in the post with G-code cycle.
What should I do in solidcam to output the cycle?

Back