What's new
What's new

Solidcam Module For Solidworks

Mike K

Cast Iron
I am still looking around for a replacement for my Surfcam release 2000.1 and plan to see a demonstration of a progam called Solidcam. It runs in Solidworks and according to the literature is the best thing ever (so it must be, right?).

Does anyone out there have any experience with it?

Mike

I have also seen a demo for CamWorks and I was impressed with it. However I would have to see just how it handles open geometry and some of the other parts that I do on a regular basis. I suggest you contact your rep and set up a similar demo.

Charles

I have used them both and I like CAMworks over SolidCAM... (I've also used CAMworks more than solidcam) The automatic feature recognition is a nice feature with CAMworks. I find that multiple fixture offsets are a breeze with CAMworks. Its just seems more "put together" in comparison to solidcam, for lack of a better term. The guy that demos for CAMWorks has a cool accent that makes listening a bit of a challenge...if you conduct the demo over speaker phone and Web-x or whatever its called.

Funny thing about demo's is that the reps can do "amazing" things with their software. I guess if you do the same thing a million times you naturally get the hang of it and make it look really easy...seen a GibbsCAM rep lately? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To combat the natural tendency for a rep to show the goods in his comfort zone, we devised a CAM rep challenge. We modeled a decent little part in Solidworks, consisting of a little bit of everything we do, and had them attempt to program it. Some 3D surfacing, spot-drill-and tapping at various angles, pockets, blind holes, Boring, etc....standard machine shop stuff.

The FeatureCAM, and SurfCAM reps fell FLAT on their faces. The GibbsCAM guy did OK, and the CAMworks accent-Guy Kicked Ass. We still demoed all the software. The CAMworks demo is hard to come by, and it was an older version...but I liked it the best and so did the rest of my shop.

Thanks for the responses. I saw the Solidcam spiel today and it looked much more capable than what I am now using. Of course it should, since I am now using 5 yr old Surfcam! Solidcam's user interface looked a little unwieldy but maybe with time it wouldn't be bad.

It sounds like CAMworks is worth checking out as well.

Thanks,
Mike

Back