What's new
What's new

Solids

KBW

Cast Iron
Recently (last couple of weeks) I've had a load of solid and SolidWorks CAD's coming in.
It's time to step up to a 3D tool path software package, but till I actually pull the trigger and purchase it, how are any of you handling CAD's with just a pretty picture to make part by?

There is a lot of info in these models.

Hole sizes, bores, countersinks, profiles, bosses and pockets all have precise dimensions accociated with them when they are imported. Making tool paths just becomes a matter of extracting edges for profiles, picking the bottom of pockets for depths, using feature recognition for the holes, and drill sizes. Solids have made CAM very easy if you have a good CAM system.

LOL, now that I think about it...

Hu I'd have to say that Onecnc has stood out in my CAM collection (Mastercam 3 with solids, Gibbs, and Bobcadsucks) as the tops when it comes to ease of use, price, and support. It really cannot be beat IMO. :D Serious, there are a lot of good solid CAM systems out there, it's just that Onecnc is so damn good, easy to use and priced fair without any maint costs....has such outstanding support... ask some other users, get a demo, see for yourself if you are considering a purchase.

(Onecnc does not have any resellers, you buy straight from the company, I don't sell the stuff, I'm just a really satisfied customer.)

I know you did not ask for a CAM recommendation so I'll close by saying that solids are really fun to work with. I think once you make the change it will hard to look at 2d geometry again.

Dave

I would suggest what I own right now, which is Onecnc. You won't find an easier to use Cam system anywhere, yet it is quite powerful. Most of the files that I work with are IGES models that come from Solidworks. Onecnc does a great job importing them cleanly and creating toolpathes.

HU, you've got to stop messing with people's minds that like ;)

Been using OneCNC for a couple weeks now. You really have to use it to believe how easy it is to use.

As a former user of BobcadReallyReallySucks, OneCNC is easily the best money I've spent in a long time.

Yeah Nervis1, what I am after is tool path posting.
Got SurfCam 2 axis a few of years ago, but the maintaince fee is a turn off, especially since I rairly used the help. Got pricing in for the 3D upgrade, hell, I could buy a nice boat to ski behind.
I've looked at the OneCNC web site before, guess it's time to break out the AmExpress card.
Thanks ya'll

One more question, what level OneCNC are some of you running Express - Pro ---etc..
And is your level powerful enough.

KBW,
I'd recommend either the Professional package or Expert. The Professional version gives you the ability to create surfaces and solids, whereas the Advantage or Express version does not include that feature, but allows you to import solid and surface models, and create toolpaths.

OneCNC Expert has it all, but depending on your machining needs, you might consider upgrading to it later on, if you find you need some of the extra toolpathing options it offers.

KBW, you might also look at VisualMill.

http://www.mecsoft.com/Mec/Products/products.shtml

The OneCNC users seem happy with their purchase, but that also seems true of the VM users.

I bought a full copy of VM instead of OneCNC, though since my mill isn't up yet I've not spent anytime learning it. I already had software for solid modeling and so that capability of OneCNC wasn't a draw to me. For what I paid the full version of VM appeared to include more advanced machining operations than a similarly priced package from OneCNC would have and I was looking for CAM software, not CAD or a combo.

The VM website has a user forum that anyone can view, and it is open to anyone to post once they register to do so. They don't require that people buy the product before having access to the forum and seeing what the VM users have to say, as OneCNC does.

I figured either VM or OneCNC would be more than adequate for my newbie CNC needs, but the secrecy and hype surrounding the OneCNC marketing turned me off. The people who bought OneCNC indicate they get good support through their user forum, but I felt more comfortable plunking down several thousand dollars with the more open attitude displayed by the VM folks.

YMMV,
Michael

Is there any one good cnc program that comes to mind when you mention these good 3d cam systems
good cam packs are:
ugnx
edgecam
gibbscam
mastercam
worknc

not good packs are:
surfcam
geopath
featurecam
teksoft procam

stay away from solidworks based stuff. they are very demanding on constant upgrades. try to get your customer to translate all solidworks files to iges.

cmon solar. autocad is crap. it is only still around to amuse the elderly. autodesk's REAL package is inventor.

I use solidworks and feature cam. I have an exellent post.Its what you see is what you get machining. I just couldnt get this with mastercam, i used it for 3 years. I have been on featurecam for 6 months and its amazing.

I do boitech R&D stuff, about 5 setups a day and about 5-20 parts each, post my own code from the solidworks file and away i go.

We have OneCNC XR, I had a new start guy a week ago, and with very little experence with some crusty old program from his last job, he has already reverse engineered 2 jobs and produced some gr8 drawings.
It really is as good as people say it is.

I have had CD's given to me with everything from unigraphics,mastercam,edgecam downwards all free but after a quick play around with some of them I regret the waste of some perfectly good blank CD's !
They might be fine if you have a full time, fully trained, CAD/CAM guy using them all day long, but if you are like most people I know, who actually want to do some work rather than sit in front of a PC all day producing files, you just can't do better than OneCNC.

Cheers
Tricky

First thing, register on the Onecnc users forum. Hu is there and Ward, and several others that can and will help you with any problems that you may have.
Even if you don't have any problems get in there and introduce yourself. :D

What's the cost for their software in the expert version????

I'm currently using Camworks right now, and it seems to be pretty good, but like all cam programs, it's lengthy and I'm not that fond of it's posts. Tend to be doing a helluva lot more editing than I should be.

It sure would be neat if them boys writing software could figure out how to use a G91 and loop some of that redundant code. I've yet to see my first cam program thats got that figured out.

6k-ish (little more) for the full version of mill.

No yearly fees for support.

I first got my feet wet with pro (which will do just about everything BTW), which was round about 4k, then upgraded to expert later. Expert has mold tools, and more advanced custom 3d tool paths available some other high dollar features. If you look at their website it will give a breakdown of all of the features in each level.

I liked Camworks when I saw the demo, but I've heard nothing but complaints from users on line at least. That was 8k as I remember?

The Onecnc expert was $6500 when we got it. I read a lot of posts about the various software and I also praise Onecnc because we like it. We have used Mastercam and actually moved from it to Onecnc and as well I have used Gibbs and Surfcam. Even at the time of changing we did not fully realize why Onecnc was so much better. The greatest thing after using Onecnc in a big way as we do now in our mold shop is the fact that it is really compatible. Not only is it compatible with all the cad modelers or so it seems from our experience but it is compatible within itself. By saying that I mean it is a compatible software the wire-frame surfacing features and all the solids functions as well as the cam all have compatibility that we had not experienced before. In mastercam there seemed to be an incredible mis match solids were a 3rd party thing the verification was a third party thing and half the functionality seemed to be run by C hooks that were quite often not compatible causing huge memory problems and crashes and messages about problems that were unrelated. With Onecnc this is not a problem all parts seem to be compatible no graphics card problems no windows memory problems a verification that works very easy to use and so it goes on. I just thought I would pass this on because we have found that complete compatibility is a must especially in this era if solids.

Back