What's new
What's new

Solidworks 2005 lost Parasolid Save "Options".

imported_brian_m

Cast Iron
I am sending some designs to a machine shop that requires Parasolid 11.1 files. About a week ago I sent a Parasolid 11.1 test file and everything in Solidworks worked as per the book and the machine shop could read the file.

Today I find that the "options" box does not appear when I try to save a Solidworks part as a Parasolid file. A file is saved of an unknown Parasolid version with the correct "X_T" suffix but the machine shop cannot open it. Have I done something dumb and accidentally turned off the "options" box or am I looking at a re-install of Solidworks?

The "options" box does not appear with other file save formats either and I cannot save the original successful test file as a Parasolid again. I tried rebooting the computer and that did not help. Solidworks is version 2005 running under Windows 7 64-bit.

Probably me being dumb but I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Nope, full version and it was working fine, as I mentioned it worked according to the book last week. I originally had dreams of being a heavy user but found that I am better off farming out most jobs to the fab. shop and I only get into the program a few times a year as the need arises so I am pretty much a dummy. I could easily have miss-clicked a drop down menu but I can't find any set-up option dealing with file saving.

I was experimenting with various file type transfers last week so that is when the problem may have been caused. I think I will simply see about re-installing since I do not have much data to save.

Nope, full version and it was working fine, as I mentioned it worked according to the book last week. I originally had dreams of being a heavy user but found that I am better off farming out most jobs to the fab. shop and I only get into the program a few times a year as the need arises so I am pretty much a dummy. I could easily have miss-clicked a drop down menu but I can't find any set-up option dealing with file saving.

I was experimenting with various file type transfers last week so that is when the problem may have been caused. I think I will simply see about re-installing since I do not have much data to save.

There is not an option to turn the version of parasolids on and off.

First try to do a repair first and if that doesn't work do a uninstall, clean out the registery and then reinstall.

One question? Have you installed any new software since this happened?

Sometimes software will overwrite dll's that other software uses.

Another thing is SW2005 wasn't written for WIN 7 or 64bit and who knows WIN 7 could have dumped something???

What is the software the fab shop is using, how about sending them iges file instead usally not version dependant or they may be able to take straight SW files?

Thanks Len.

Looks like a total re-install since I ran the repair routine when the problem came up. I must have just upset the program when I experimented with different ways of saving files last week.

My copy of SW is pretty old but under Windows 7 (operating as 32 bit) on a quad processor motherboard it seems to go like a rocket. I know the number of cores etc is not supposed to make much difference but it seems to make a big difference on my machine. I did install a later version of Microsoft Office since I last installed SW but that is all I can remember.

As far as the file type is concerned I am just trying to fit in with what the machine shop requested. The fab. shop I use already has the latest versions of SW and they are quite happy to make the parts from my sketches which is why I rarely use my program. The machine shop uses MasterCam (they do not use SW) and for some reason they prefer Parasolid v.11.1 files.

Thanks Len.

Looks like a total re-install since I ran the repair routine when the problem came up. I must have just upset the program when I experimented with different ways of saving files last week.

My copy of SW is pretty old but under Windows 7 (operating as 32 bit) on a quad processor motherboard it seems to go like a rocket. I know the number of cores etc is not supposed to make much difference but it seems to make a big difference on my machine. I did install a later version of Microsoft Office since I last installed SW but that is all I can remember.

As far as the file type is concerned I am just trying to fit in with what the machine shop requested. The fab. shop I use already has the latest versions of SW and they are quite happy to make the parts from my sketches which is why I rarely use my program. The machine shop uses MasterCam (they do not use SW) and for some reason they prefer Parasolid v.11.1 files.

I'm a machinist\prototyper\model maker and I would always request at least two different types of files just incase one acted funny. send them an iges or step file and ask them how it works for them. also what version of mastercam are they using, they may have the file open SW file? just asking.

I had a similar problem last week, You can easily test if you registry has errors. press start then type in regedit into the search box, scroll to software, open that up then scroll to the solidworks file , rename the file to solidworks-old . Restart SW and it will automaticaly rewrite the registry. If the problem is fixed then you will not need to re-install the program , just redo your templates and your add-ins, toolbars ect.ect.

Of course if the problem persits then it is not a registry error, and you can simply delete the new solidworks file, rename the solidworks-old file to solidworks, and lose nothing.

Bill

Last edited:

Back