What's new
What's new

Solidworks 2015 still crashing

Tim in D

Hot Rolled
I reported in an earlier post that my SW2015 was crashing on opening the drawing function. It was fine after rebooting the computer. Not today..........I have a very simple part and when I choose "make drawing from part" it crashes the program. I rebooted the computer and the program still crashes on opening the drawing feature (for any part). I have scanned the computer with Malwarebytes and found nothing (but I did not expect to).

So, I want to reload the program. I own it and have the discs and the key code (I think).

I'm not on maintenance.

Will I be able to access any service packs/updates? (for 2015)

Can I reload just the dwg feature?

Anything I need to know before trying this ???

Thanks for your interest.

Tim in D

Thanks nmachine. I just tried that and no joy.
I guess the next step is to remove the old install and redo it. I'm just worried about the additions I've bought at a later time and added like Featureworks.

Thanks

Tim in D

I don't know much about Solidworks, but I do know that I would make sure my graphics drivers were up to date before I attempted to reinstall. I manage a lot of non-Solidworks software, and I've seen a lot of unexplainable crashes solved with the latest drivers. I just had that happen this morning with WorkNC. Every time the user displayed his stock model, WorkNC would crash. Updated driver solved it.

Just throwing that out there.

Dan

I would give the same advice as @Dan. Please let us know if it worked @Tim. If it didn't work then we can try and find another solution?

Well I had to put this aside for a bit and do some paying work. What a time-suck.

So far I have up-dated the graphics driver. No-joy.

I un-installed my seat of SW2015 and re-installed it from my discs with the MS security HKey turned off. No change. So I shut down the computer and had some whiskey (that helped for sure!). The next morning I restarted the computer and SW worked !..........for a bit. I printed out some dwgs I needed and closed SW and off I went to make my parts. Next day, open SW.......crashed when I tried the "make drawing from part" or "open an existing drawing" functionality. :~(

I then e-mailed a SW re-seller, GoEngineer and Ryan Dark made some suggestions like working through the SW Rx menu. I did that and although the tests showed it should all be working, it didn't. Ryan asked what sp# I was on and it was sp0 so he sent me a zip with SW2015 sp5 saying there had been known issues in the previous releases of 2015 and that would fix it. Great! So I began an hours long reinstall of SW2015 with SP5. Halfway through I get a message. "SW cannot continue the installation." "Your copy was purchased before SP5 was released." "Please contact your re-seller for more information." BUMMER......

I think that is the status right now. I don't know........

This is the edge of a very slippery slope for me. I'm looking at the possibility of an upgrade for SW ($$$). Which means an upgrade of HSMworks ($$$). Which means an upgrade of my OS. Which means a new computer ($). And all the mess associated with that. Right now, I don't have the time or the money for that.

Last night I was looking through my old HP7955 comp. and found my first (?) seat of SW 2011 with HSM express So it's back to the future for me for a bit.

Thanks for your interest in this. I have not given up hope but I have to get some stuff done here.

Cheers

Tim in D

Tim,

I actually just had the exact same problem but with SW2017. It would crash every time I tried to open a new or existing drawing. Also, eDrawings would not open and AutoCAD would crash as soon as it opened.

I also tried uninstall/reinstall with no luck.

My VAR figured it out and it turned out to be an issue with an automatic Windows update of .NET. I will copy/paste the summary email I got from the VAR and maybe you can figure it out.

"Question:
crash when opening any drawing

Solution:
customer called back. it didn't work the graphics update didn't help. looking into reliability page and it showed some .net issues. .net 4.6 wouldn't uninstall and .net 4.7 wouldn't install. used fixit to remove .net 4.6 and 4.7 installed with some other windows updates.

reboot again... and it's working!"

Hope that helps!

So your saying it's an update to the OS that is causing the problem ?

It looks like I need to check out this .NET 4.6 update and use fixit to remove it and install .NET 4.7.

Thanks for the lead! I'll look into that and report back.

Tim in D

Okay, so to give some closure here.............

I finally got back to this problem and tried what RH68 suggested in reply #8 above. The .NET framework was what was causing the problem. I removed the old version and installed the latest (I think). Seems to be working now. I'll see how long it lasts.

I guess the reality was : Microsoft uploaded an "automatic upgrade" that conflicted with my software causing me hours of grief and nowhere do they acknowledge there is a problem. It's left to me to figure out WTF is happening. Like if Ford comes into my yard at night and installs a new but faulty "upgraded hootis" on my truck for me. I get up the next morning and my truck won't start. WTF?? Oh, you need to come and get the .30 hoootis......GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Well we'll see how long this lasts.....

Thanks for all the good leads from everybody and Ryan Dark at GoEngineering.

Tim in D

Back