What's new
What's new

What are the various 3d CAD file formats and which is best?

squale

Cast Iron
Just wondering what the difference between the numerous 3d cad file types are, such as Parasolid, IGES, STEP, etc.

and how do these compare to a Solidworks .slprt file? is one better than the other to use for exporting to other programs such as CAM software?

Thanks!

That is a loaded question.
It all depends upon the power of the software you are running and the ability of the person using it.
If a format is not the native (or preferred) format for the software do not expect it to be 100% compliant. Period
Some companies pay other companies for 'reader code' to allow their program to import the other formats into their program.
IGES and DXF formats are also a loaded question. There are many levels of each format. Many vendors do not know what level of DXF or IGES they can read.
The more complex the software package (3d solids, NURBS curves and surfaces, etc) the harder it will be to correctly transfer the complete drawing from one application to another. Sometimes you will find there are no levels in the drawing. All features are on the same layer. Another may not allow you read dimensions. The part is drawn to scale but the dimensions are misread by the importing application. The more complex the part is with 3D surfaces and whiz-bang features the more problems you might have. You might not have any at all.
It comes down to expereience with what you have and what you will be working with. What is perfect for some shops and they recommend to you is horrible for you.

IGES is supposed to be neutral, a non-proprietory format, so I'm told. It may be true that the models from some other modellers may not correctly translate into IGES, but this may or may not be a fault of the software. More likely, the user botched the modelling procedure and the resultant model failed to make translation correctly.

well I am using Solidworks and GibbsCAM to import my solidworks models. Seems to import stuff just fine.. they both are built on a Parasolid kernal I read..

is Parasolid like the 'standard' for 3d models? such as 'dxf' is the standard for transfer of 2D drawings?

IGES is supposed to be neutral, a non-proprietory format, so I'm told.

The keyword is "supposed to", and the reality is hardly ever. It is the incarnation of evil software standards - those which aren't really standards, but just vile and wicked tricks to lure the naive into hours of wasted work and bad communcations!

I usually resort to step format when transfering dumb files from one format to another as most programs seem to get it correctly. But best of all are programs which truly reads each others native files. (Now why on earth can't Solidworks export its files as previous version formats??)

Semi rant over.

Here is a little blurb on this subject that I found on the OneCNC forums. No use me trying to 'splain it :D

Tips on importing files.

Here are some tips on importing files into OneCNC and the reasons we favour the standards of STEP and IGES.

This is information that we have derived from various sources over time and it may help users understand some of the benefits of a neutral or standard format.

OneCNC has the following import methods:

A. STP (STEP)

STEP-File is the most widely used data exchange form.

This is due to its ASCII structure and it is easy to read with typically one instance per line.

The format of a STEP-File is as defined in a published international standard ISO 10303-21 consisting of a Clear Text Encoding Exchange Structure.

The ISO10303-21 standard defines the encoding mechanism on how to correctly represent data according to a given EXPRESS schema, but not the EXPRESS schema itself.

STEP-Files can also be called p21-Files and STEP Physical Files. The file extensions of .stp and .step indicate that the file contain data conforming to STEP Application Protocols.

The STEP read in OneCNC is not subject to version change and provides a robust standard import from all CAD sources that adhere to the published standard.

STEP translation is the preferred file import and export method in OneCNC. The main reason it is preferred by OneCNC is that it is to an international standard, and does not rely on any other files to function and yearly version free.

OneCNC reads its own STEP files directly and it does not require any other shared files or files in other directories that may be subject to change.

This provides for simplicity of operation without the constraints of yearly versions and or the necessity to become reliant on a particular brand of software because of the reliance on a restrictive file system that may change from year to year.

A user may want to open files years later in other software and an ISO standard can be more assured.

B. IGES

The Initial Graphics Exchange Specification IGES , pronounced “eye-jess” defines a neutral data format that allows the digital exchange of information among Computer-aided design (CAD) systems. The IGES standard which is now 5.3 last published in 1996 and has not changed since.

The official title of IGES is Digital Representation for Communication of Product Definition Data, first published in January, 1980 by the National Bureau of Standards as NBSIR 80-1978. Many documents like the Defense Standards MIL-D-28000 and MIL-STD-1840 refer to it as ASME Y14.26M, the designation of the ANSI committee that approved IGES Version 1.0.
Using IGES, a CAD user can exchange product data models in the form of circuit diagrams, wire frame, free form surface or solid modeling representations. Applications supported by IGES include traditional engineering drawings, models for analysis, and other manufacturing functions.

IGES only seems to be of any problem if the exporting CAD does not adhere to the specifications.

C. VDA

VDA-FS is a CAD data exchange format for the transfer of surface models from one CAD system to another. Its name stands for "Verband der Automobilindustrie - Flächenschnittstelle", which translates to the "organisation of the automotive industry - surface translation format". Standard was specified by the German organisation VDA. VDA-FS is now superseded by STEP, ISO 10303. This is especially provided for the users that do OEM automotive replacement parts. This was commonly used more before STEP arrived.

D. 3DM (Rhino)

3DM Rhino is provided by the developers of Rhino in the interests of file translation between Rhino and other CAD. This is provided through the OpenNURBS . The openNURBS Initiative was founded by Robert McNeel & Associates in January 2000, with the sole purpose of providing CAD, CAM, CAE, and computer graphics software users reliable methods for transferring 3-D geometry between applications.

E. DGN (AusCAD)

The DGN is provided by OneCNC to read the files from the original AusCAD. AusCAD was a previously developed CAD/CAM and the forerunner to now OneCNC.

F. DXF

AutoCAD DXF (Drawing Interchange Format, or Drawing Exchange Format) is a CAD data file format developed by Autodesk for enabling data interoperability between AutoCAD and other programs.
DXF was originally introduced in December 1982 as part of AutoCAD 1.0, and was intended to provide an exact representation of the data in the AutoCAD native file format, DWG (Drawing), for which Autodesk for many years did not publish specifications. Because of this correct imports of DXF files has been very difficult over these years. Autodesk now publishes the DXF specifications, on its website for versions of DXF dating from AutoCAD Release 13 to AutoCAD 2009.
As AutoCAD has become more powerful, supporting more complex object types, DXF has become less useful. Certain object types, including ACIS solids and regions, are not documented. Other object types, including AutoCAD 2006's dynamic blocks, and all of the objects specific to the vertical-market versions of AutoCAD, are partially documented, but not well enough to allow other developers to support them.
While this has helped to some degree almost every CAD on the planet often have their own version of DXF because of so many years of non publication.

OneCNC only imports the ASCII format DXF files.

G. SAT

SAT files are current developed by Spatial. They maintain a current version or release number which is now 19 so therefore there is 19 versions of SAT files. SAT or as it is known ACIS was acquired by Dassault Systemes and is not openly published. This is also a very difficult format for this reason.

I. STL

STL is a file format native to the stereo lithography CAD software created by 3D Systems. This file format is supported by many other software packages also. It is widely used for rapid prototyping and computer-aided manufacturing for this purpose. STL files describe only the triangulated surface mesh of a three dimensional object without any representation of color, texture or other common CAD model attributes. The STL format specifies both ASCII and binary representations. Binary files are more common, since they are more compact.
An STL file describes a raw unstructured triangulated surface by the unit normal and vertices ordered by the right-hand rule of the triangles using a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system.
STL is definitely not a preferred file format for importing into OneCNC. Reason being it is just a mesh format and any machining done on this format would have the same roughness as the polygons
OneCNC supports the ASCII and Binary formats of STL.

J. SLDPRT (Solidworks)

SolidWorks files use the Microsoft Structured storage file format.
This means that there are various files embedded within each SLDDRW, SLDPRT, SLDASM file, including preview bitmaps and metadata sub-files.
Various third-party tools can be used to extract these sub-files, although the subfiles in many cases use proprietary binary file formats.
The Structured storage (variously also known as COM structured storage or OLE structured storage) is a technology developed by Microsoft as part of its Windows operating system for storing hierarchical data within a single file. Strictly speaking, the term structured storage refers to a set of COM interfaces that a conforming implementation must provide, and not to a specific implementation, nor to a specific file format (in fact, a structured storage implementation need not store its data in a file at all). In addition to providing a hierarchical structure for data, structured storage may also provide a limited form of transactional support for data access. Microsoft provides an implementation that supports transactions, as well as one that does not (called simple-mode storage, the latter implementation is limited in other ways as well, although it performs better).
Structured storage is widely used in Microsoft Office applications, although newer releases (starting with Office 2007) use the XML-based Office Open XML by default. It is also an important part of both COM and the related Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) technologies. Other notable applications of structured storage include MSSQL, the Windows shell, and many third-party CAD programs.

The file reading is performed by a Solidworks provided document manager not by OneCNC so it is also important to have the correct document manager dll installed in the Solidworks Shared directory. This can also be dependant on operating system and SW version. These read files are stored in the Solidworks Shared directory.

K. XT (Parasolid)

Parasolid is a geometric modelling kernel originally developed by ShapeData, now owned by "Siemens PLM Software" formerly UGS Corp USA, that can be licensed by companies for use in their 3D computer graphics software products.
It is used in many Computer-aided design (CAD), Computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), Computer-aided engineering (CAE), Product visualization, and CAD data exchange packages.
When exported from the parent software package, a Parasolid commonly has the file extension .x_t and .X_B. Most Parasolid files can communicate and migrate only 3D solids and/or surface data.
Parasolid files currently cannot communicate and migrate 2D data such as lines and arcs.

OneCNC AUS

Well, Parasolid is more of a kernel or "engine" than a format.

Parasolid is a collection of solid modeling libraries which can be used by the CAD system for desgning and creating the faces/solids. These libraries are usually referred to as a "Kernel", but to use a car analogy, it is the engine that runs the car. When you have a solid, and say use a shell or fillet function, then your CAD software interfaces with the Parasolid Kernal to do the actual math calculations. Parasolid is used in a lot of CAD products, SolidWorks, Solid Edge, Vero ...

ACIS is a competitive 3D design CAD kernal. Acis is used by Autodesk and possibly also Cimatron.

In theory, as long as two different CAD products are using the same Kernal revision, they should have pretty much the same 3D design capabilities (and the same bugs). There would of course be some competitive benefits of one kernal over another, just as there are competitive benefits of one CAM package over another. They all have strengths and weaknesses.

Some CAD systems use their own Kernal and not one "off the shelf" - Catia, Think3 and Pro-Engineer have their own kernels. IronCAD at one time tried something interesting, they incorporated both the ACIS and Parasolid Kernel.

IGES and STEP are meant as neutral file formats, to exchange data from one system to another. There are also aftermarket translators that negate this.

IGES has been around long enough that if your CAD/CAM system is still having problems reading in IGES files, you should perhaps look at a different CAD/CAM system. They really are not rocket science.

Any other format would usually be the proprietary format the individual CAD/CAM system uses.

IGES have been around for a long time for sure, and in theory it works great. But I've tried my share of translations between different programs, and using IGES too often ends in failure - either not importing at all, importing with errors (for instance solids/ closed surfaces aren't closed anymore), or actually importing correctly. The more complex the model the higher the failure rate it seems.

Having the option I'd preferably use any native format both programs involved can handle, or Step which has a much higher success rate than IGES in my experience. IGES is my last ditch resort, and as often as not I'll get imports with errors tagging along somewhere.

That they haven't updated the standards since 1996 I take as a clue that they either reached perfection back then, or gave up on it. It is certainly not perfect so I guess the latter is correct.

so from the sound of it... since I model in Solidworks, its sounds to me the BEST imports will be into programs that 1.) are built on the Parasolid kernal, and 2.) import native .slprt files so they will have the most imformation about the solid in the file.

this is one of the reasons I am using GibbsCAM, it imports solidworks perfectly being that it takes native files and also is built on the Parasolid kernal.

IGES have been around for a long time for sure, and in theory it works great. But I've tried my share of translations between different programs, and using IGES too often ends in failure - either not importing at all, importing with errors (for instance solids/ closed surfaces aren't closed anymore), or actually importing correctly. The more complex the model the higher the failure rate it seems.

I go back to my original statement, if a standard has not changed in 12 years, if you are having trouble reading in how others output IGES, after 12 years of no changes, then perhaps you need a better CAD/CAM system. While I can use a translator to read in files like Catia/UG/Solidworks directly, still over 2/3rd's of the files I get are IGES, and I rarely ever have a problem, but then again WorkNC has very strong translation capability.

Well, I can't speak for WorkNC as I'v never tried it. But I have experience from IGES using Solidworks, Rhinoceros, SolidEdge, Maya and 3D Studio Max. I actually don't need a better CAD/CAM system as far as files go - I just stay away from IGES. There are more consistent and reliable options available, with native files a prefered choice.

I'm happy to hear that your milage is different, but then again we might not have the same kind of models.

As a Pro/E (.prt & .asm model file extensions) using engineer, I seem to have the best luck sending .stp files to our shops. A few use .dxf, but most ask for .stp over .igs.

I think I know the answer......... Solidworks needs to maximise profits. You want to read SW 2009 files? Then you had better buy SW 2009.

Regards,

Mike.

Well, actually the other way around. You have Solidworks 2009, but you can't export as for instance Solidworks 2008 files. (Which for instance forces you to wait with the upgrade until your other native Solidworks speaking programs (CAM) have also been updated).

Just wondering what the difference between the numerous 3d cad file types are, such as Parasolid, IGES, STEP, etc.

and how do these compare to a Solidworks .slprt file? is one better than the other to use for exporting to other programs such as CAM software?

Thanks!

ok....first you have to know what package are you sending to! then you have toask them are they on the latest release of that program? the reason is if they are not current they might not be able to read your files. all of the cam packages take SW files as in file open, iges, step, parasolids, asics it just depends on they program and how old it is! so you are the detective ask them. if you can send solidworks do that, then parasolids, then step, then iges...you may even have to send an older version of the last 3 because you are on the last build for them and who you send it to may not!

lenny

Back