Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Willysnowman View Post

Solid Edge: I know. Who? They have been gaining traction and are a big reason for the SW death. I like them. I am not paying SW $$ any more. They are my fallback. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNBucWi4xdg
    What about ADSK Inventor. Any comments on that as a SW alternative? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What the in cost for F360? Can they import and manipulate other files easily?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    What about ADSK Inventor. Any comments on that as a SW alternative? Thanks
    Same time.

No. I would be interested.

My perfect software would bring in any file, manipulate, integrated CAM, to quality G code. I do very little surfacing but it would be nice to have. I can export for FEA/Render. I need some sort of PDM, but pretty lightweight; mainly sharing files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    Gotcha ya. I have software that you can actually just draw the toolpath if you want and not have to apply a trace operation afterwards. I was always thinking other cam systems should offer something like that. I agree with programming for efficiency. You on pay once to program efficiently, but will pay every time you run the parts with an inefficient toolpath.
    Well which software? I'm sure we all like to hear other perspectives (I know I do). Although maybe we're getting OT...

I don't doubt Jeff is a real advocate of the program. I just think they should have stuck with advocates vs sponsoring some since it makes me wonder if they really like the product or are they getting something to "like" the product.
    I agree to some extent. There's always NYCCNC whom many of us look at as rather amateurish, but he's also putting all sorts of things out there for people to see, and that's valuable too. He was also given a free license of HSMWorks (little jealous over here), but has been using Fusion 360 much more than SW/HSM lately, and I don't think there was any prompting for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomkinder View Post
    Well which software? I'm sure we all like to hear other perspectives (I know I do). Although maybe we're getting OT...

I agree to some extent. There's always NYCCNC whom many of us look at as rather amateurish, but he's also putting all sorts of things out there for people to see, and that's valuable too. He was also given a free license of HSMWorks (little jealous over here), but has been using Fusion 360 much more than SW/HSM lately, and I don't think there was any prompting for it.
    I have mentioned here before. SmartCAM. It is a very old software, but still being developed. I love the power it has but that also comes at a price. I prefer the more modern UI of SW type programs and this one does not have it. However I have yet to find a cam system to replace it for turning. I am sure there are some out there if I had the same amount of seat time with them I have with SmartCAM. I tried HSMwokrs for many years but they just don't get turning IMO.

As for the NYCCNC guy and the likes of, I am sure that the information they put out is valuable and many find it very helpful. But that is not the issue mentioned, the issue is if he is using it and promoting it because it is great or because it was free and all he has to use. If NX gave him some software would he be saying the same things about them. IMO he is a paid endorsement nothing more. The most powerful positive product reviews come unsolicited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As for the NYCCNC guy and the likes of, I am sure that the information they put out is valuable and many find it very helpful. But that is not the issue mentioned, the issue is if he is using it and promoting it because it is great or because it was free and all he has to use. If NX gave him some software would he be saying the same things about them. IMO he is a paid endorsement nothing more. The most powerful positive product reviews come unsolicited.
    That's just it, I don't know that he was 'given' Fusion 360 any more than I was. He has freely admitted that Autodesk gave him HSMWorks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Atomkinder View Post
    That's just it, I don't know that he was 'given' Fusion 360 any more than I was. He has freely admitted that Autodesk gave him HSMWorks.
    I would not know either.
    I see your point and mine is that they should not "muddy the water" so we would know for sure. I am sure all software companies and such do it. If NX wants to give me a full blown seat for free I will make them some youtube videos that show it in a positive light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Notice. There is not a single person mentioning Dassault 3DX. So why the hell am I paying to develop it?

And I got one of my SS renewals yesterday. I am not paying it.

SW may be around for another 15 years. I will still be using SW2014 as SW2015 is buggy. It does not really make sense to give the company who ran it into the ground more money. I have SW12, SW13, SW14, SW15 installed. I can't see a meaningful different between any one of these.

If people send me new SW files, I will ask for parasolid. I will then send them SW14 files which they can open in a new version of SW. Going forward I will keep my options open for a new CAD. Done and done.

Many many thanks to Dassault Systems for instigating this new policy. Without it, I would have paid my SS without question. They opened up my eyes.

9. Likes toolmaker96 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone else see the new video for SW16? SolidWorks

Basically moving buttons around and claiming you'll pay attention to the job and not the tool(software). Funny, I'd think that would be the effect on NOT changing the interface all around. As previously mentioned, there is no substantive improvements, just jockeying around buttons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone else see the new video for SW16? SolidWorks

Basically moving buttons around and claiming you'll pay attention to the job and not the tool(software). Funny, I'd think that would be the effect on NOT changing the interface all around. As previously mentioned, there is no substantive improvements, just jockeying around buttons.
    That move is only meant to train you for their new 3DX interface. The can create a module which can be used in both programs without putting any functionality into the parasolid kernel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not that it is worth the price, but I like the new UI along with the breadcrumbs and "D" key work flow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not that it is worth the price, but I like the new UI along with the breadcrumbs and "D" key work flow.
    Not too bad.

Maybe I will buy it in 3-4 years as 3DX. It will take 2 years of bug fixes to get it sorted. I ain't paying for that.

The most likely scenario is I will be using Onshape. For what I do, I think they just need CAM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just bit the bullet and got a perpetual seat for Inventor. They stops offering perpetual licenses in January. I had initially considered SW on which I have lots of experience, but thanks to this thread and my continual annoyance with their updates, forget it. I also considered Geomagic. GM seems good as econo-grade CAD, but I think I'd be frustrated as it's pretty clunky and can't do everything. I think Inventor is the last of the major ones you can buy perpetual. Good luck using the cloud thing. It will be interesting to see where that is in a few years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just bit the bullet and got a perpetual seat for Inventor. They stops offering perpetual licenses in January. I had initially considered SW on which I have lots of experience, but thanks to this thread and my continual annoyance with their updates, forget it. I also considered Geomagic. GM seems good as econo-grade CAD, but I think I'd be frustrated as it's pretty clunky and can't do everything. I think Inventor is the last of the major ones you can buy perpetual. Good luck using the cloud thing. It will be interesting to see where that is in a few years.
    Not sure what you mean last of the major ones you can by perpetual?? They are one that is doing away completely with perpetual in 2016 unless you already have one.

TopSolids
    NX
    SolidWorks
    SolidEdge

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think of the big CAD programs as:

Solidworks
    Pro-E
    Solid Edge
    Inventor
    Catia

The only one on this list that still does perpetual is Inventor. Catia I actually don't know, but I've used it enough to not want to use it more. I think only airplane designers use it.

I must have forgot Unigraphics and I've haven't heard of TopSolid. For me, too late now! I should only need one seat for my small business for the foreseeable future, so we'll see.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So Siemens has 2 CAD platforms, Solid Edge and NX? I suppose that's not weird considering Dassult has SW and Catia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think of the big CAD programs as:

Solidworks
    Pro-E
    Solid Edge
    Inventor
    Catia

The only one on this list that still does perpetual is Inventor. Catia I actually don't know, but I've used it enough to not want to use it more. I think only airplane designers use it.

I must have forgot Unigraphics and I've haven't heard of TopSolid. For me, too late now! I should only need one seat for my small business for the foreseeable future, so we'll see.
    I just got quotes for NX and SE and they were perpetual so is SW. They will never stop working hence perpetual. After Jan 2016 all NEW inventor licenses will stop working if you are not on subscription.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I guess I misunderstood the SW licensing. I though maintenance was required (perpetual to me = no yearly maintenance required). In any case, I've had enough with SW. What I did was went to this list and pared it down to ones I thought I could get by with. NX is not to be found and for some reason I didn't look at Topsolid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...design_editors

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I also considered Geomagic. GM seems good as econo-grade CAD, but I think I'd be frustrated as it's pretty clunky and can't do everything.
    GM has been pretty meager with the program enhancements in recent upgrades and I'm wondering if the company (3DS/Geomagic) that bought it from Alibre is really serious about maintaining it, let alone enhancing it. On the plus side annual maintenance is only $400/year.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What I did was went to this list and pared it down to ones I thought I could get by with. NX is not to be found and for some reason I didn't look at Topsolid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...design_editors
    The name in the listing is "NX by Siemens PLM Software"