Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The shop I work at currently has SOLIDWORKS 2014. We didn't pay the subscription fee when we bought all three of our current seats. My re-seller tried some bully tactics about not getting service pack updates if needed to get us to pay the money. After a discussion with their regional manager that tune changed.

I got a chance to fill out a survey and I mentioned about what happened with the subscription mess. So yesterday I got a snippy email from a senior technical customer support engineer wanting to set a time to briefly discuss my issues. And that's exactly how he put it. I politely informed him that my brief email could relay my problems with their policy and a discussion with wouldn't be necessary.

When we need to upgrade again, which will be several years from now I'll be pushing for a different CAD package. At this time I'm not sure what that will be but I'm hoping something like Onshape will offer a version to store files on a local drive instead of their cloud storage. Hopefully one of the upstarts will start to eat SOLIDWORKS and Autodesk's lunch in the next five to ten years. I'm getting tired of paying them to beta test every year.

JustAbout

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMHO, these cloud based CAD programs are only free for now. This is to lure people in. They will surely convert to subscriptions when they think they've hit critical mass. This has been done by many online "free" programs. Software companies used to be stupid (90's). They are now smart and have found ways to get continuous income.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure they will do something to generate an income. They have to if they're going to stay in business. Onshape is the only one that I can comment on at the moment but they have both a free and paid option. I have no issue paying for a product but how I got treated during my last transaction with my re-seller has left a bad taste in my mouth. Then getting that email really sent me over the top.

Honestly giving away the software to student and schools is how Autodesk got big years ago. And I believe Autodesk was one of the first to start implementing a subscription program. I'm not anti subscription if it makes sense. The last time I dealt with Autodesk in 2008 their civil engineering software (Civil 3D) at that time was close to 10K per seat and 1K per year subscription. Plus each update had major improvements and additional features. So to me that made sense. But with a base price of $4,400 and nearly $700 a year in subscription fees for SOLIDWORKS when the majority of users only notice a difference in the user interface doesn't seem worth it. But that's my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

JustAbout