What's new
What's new

help with cad/cam for denford novaturn please

audio.fi

Aluminum
Hi,

Please understand that I am not a business, so cannot afford expensive software so can anyone help me please.

I have a Denford Novaturn which, since I have had for about 12 months, have made little on it as I found the programming side of it a bit heavy so have learnt that I should be looking for a type of software that can make the g-code (fanuc) for me. I need something that allows me to simply draw what I want to turn (only simple things like dimensioning, threading, and boring), graphically, and then make the g-code from this.

The machine uses DOS software called FLSTEP and can run g-code.

There is a software called quickturn2D which would work it, but is costly, and apparently some functions might not work with my lathe as it is of older control firmeware, and upgrading it will cost around £1800, which for what I am gong to make on it, is much too much.
If however, anyone could sell me quickturn2D (if they are no longer using the software, of course !!), so I could try it out, that would be great, but other than that, is there anything out that is low cost (or free), that can perform this, as I have googled and googled but found nothing that is not hundreds of pounds, or only for mills and not for a lathe.

Any help would be appreciated, or you can p.m. me if you can help with the above request.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

I have written to them asking if it will work with my machine, but at $395 plus more for extras, it is a lot for me to afford, but I can try the demo if they say it will work with the novaturn.

Thanks for letting me know.

Should work, their stuff is basically written for Fanuc. I've seen the demo, it's just a movie if I remember correctly. Don't know what your money limit is but keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Haven't seen many CAM systems cheap. Most inexpensive stuff is written for mills, you've figured that out already. If you know or can teach yourself g-code the lathe is pretty easy to use with finger cam (type it all in)
Dave

Just watched the demo video; Looks very different from what I have used so far i.e. denford lathecam designer (very limited) and quickturn2D. In those, you "draw" a 2d representation of the billet as it looks side on. The kipware is sort of form field based. I will give the demo a try once they say it will work with the novaturn.
I do like the quickturn though, as it makes the drawing into a 3d rendered image that can be rotated, making it easier for me to understand what I will get when the part is made.

Thanks for the help.

Kipware is basically Conversational software but it also has a small sketch (cad) module in it as well which is great for doing basic drawings.

Kipware is not a replacement for a Cad/Cam package but as a easy to use
software at the machine where you don't need a powerful cad program it is very hard to beat. You can thread, engrave face etc and most basic cam operations and do it fast it is really hard to beat. The demo is a full working version when I first tried it last year and brought it and I use it with my Cad/cam program

I am sure Bluechip will give you more info

And I might add I have nothing to do with the software just a satisfied customer

Cheers

Rob

I own a Novaturn too. My plan is to convert it to MACH3 and use LazyCAM, mainly to get rid of DOS and floppydiscs. And because I want to replace all the electronics, I don't like the spindle motor controller.

I think that LazyCAM could be used with FLSTEP if you modify the post processor.

/Torleif.

Back