What's new
What's new

SolidWorks Industrial Designer

len_1962

Stainless
At SolidWorks World yesterday I got to do a hands on session with SW Industrial Designer another cloud base part modeler like Fusion 360.

It can do Sub-D and prismatic, but where the power lies is that it is way simpler than Fusion 360's T-splines Sub-D portion.

you can use a drawing tablet, hand sketch the basic shape of your part (sharpie on a piece of paper) which is not geometry, put concept sketch on the plane need for the shape, then drop in the cube, cylinder or spear and start pulling up to the sharpie sketches you made.

WOW is all I can say.

Cost I have not heard yet.

probably today at the general session at 8 am Phoenix time, they are streaming all the sessions on the web live.

At SolidWorks World yesterday I got to do a hands on session with SW Industrial Designer another cloud base part modeler like Fusion 360.

It can do Sub-D and prismatic, but where the power lies is that it is way simpler than Fusion 360's T-splines Sub-D portion.

you can use a drawing tablet, hand sketch the basic shape of your part (sharpie on a piece of paper) which is not geometry, put concept sketch on the plane need for the shape, then drop in the cube, cylinder or spear and start pulling up to the sharpie sketches you made.

WOW is all I can say.

Cost I have not heard yet.

probably today at the general session at 8 am Phoenix time, they are streaming all the sessions on the web live.

I have seen the same thing done in Fusion. They bring in a paper sketch or even a product photo and pull to match it.

Create a razor design from concept images: Part 1 | Fusion 360 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Lenny,
I found a video for it, looks pretty cool. I like what appears to be the ability to sketch on a Wacom or something similar to start with .

I have seen the same thing done in Fusion. They bring in a paper sketch or even a product photo and pull to match it.

Create a razor design from concept images: Part 1 | Fusion 360 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Lenny,
I found a video for it, looks pretty cool. I like what appears to be the ability to sketch on a Wacom or something similar to start with .

no import of a picture needed and the Wacom tablet is what they were using, I am trying to get them to send me a seat to beta for use here at ASU.

All these sorts of wiz bang surfacing tools are cool, but the surfaces they create aren't usually good enough for an actual product.

All these sorts of wiz bang surfacing tools are cool, but the surfaces they create aren't usually good enough for an actual product.

What you need to see is how they use both the Sub-D and surfaces then they jumped between SW ID and regular SW On day 2 or SolidWorks World here in Phoenix.

you can also make regular extrusions, revolves, both add and subtract using Boolean operations like regular SW.

I find myself in complete agreement with Josh at SolidSmack; SW Industrial Design is a complete joke, and DSS has totally lost the plot. They are charging CATIA or NX money for a set of disjointed tools.

Pricing Next-Gen CAD: Has Dassault Systèmes Lost the Plot with 3DExperience? - SolidSmack

I was also a little surprised at the pricing. Especially if what is said is true that they are only "companion" products. I think Dassault Systèmes has missed the boat on this one. It will be interesting to see where OnShape fits in after they release and lift the NDA.

I was also a little surprised at the pricing. Especially if what is said is true that they are only "companion" products. I think Dassault Systèmes has missed the boat on this one. It will be interesting to see where OnShape fits in after they release and lift the NDA.

That's the part I'm missing from the whole SolidWorks "vision." We've now got 2-3 "Companion" products that still need a core seat of SolidWorks to plug into if you want to get anything done beyond basic design sketch iterations. So (as Josh points out on SolidSmack), you're paying $2k to keep an up-to-date seat of SolidWorks, and another $6000 for SWMC and SWID.

Let's say this is tolerable somehow. Hell - I could see paying a pretty penny to SolidWorks so I can have real SubD surfacing, tied to prismatic geometry. That would be pretty neat!

But you aren't getting that for your $2000 a year - you're getting a very basic SubD modeler that spits out dumb solids into your primary CAD program. Guess what you DSS chuckleheads? I've got about 4 different SubD packages that can already spit out dumb surface solids to SolidWorks - Fusion, Rhino, T-Splines, Modo... Those idiots really think paying $2k so I can have some iteration sharing features is worth it? Morons - I've got Dropbox and FaceTime and iMessage, and Slack (all of which have an annual cost of precisely zero).

What SolidWorks needed was SubD integrated tightly with prismatic geometry. T-splines is starting to get there, but slowly and in a very T-splines way. NX Realize Shape is the absolute ideal- Design the part prismatically, grab the surfaces you want to make swoopy and have at it. All your geometry stays tied together and any changes to the base prismatic feature change SubD surface. True - if I make a 10mm x 20mm x 50mm box and SubD a few faces into a swoopy thing, I might need to go back and tweak my surfaces if I radically change those dimensions by more than about 10%... but Realize Shape is shockingly robust. It can easily handle the sort of minor fit and function changes you'll be doing once you have all your surface work done.

I would pay an easy $2k a year to have that technology in SolidWorks. But as some bullshit "companion" that spits out dumb solids? Screw that.

At SolidWorks World yesterday.....

Dang-it, didn't realize there were any other PM members there, although I did run in to Aldepaolo at the BobCAM booth. Would have been cool to meet you. Saw the Industrial Designer demo too, pretty slick, but no idea how much is window dressing at this point or what the cost is going to be. Did you make it to any of the break out sessions?

That's the part I'm missing from the whole SolidWorks "vision." We've now got 2-3 "Companion" products that still need a core seat of SolidWorks to plug into if you want to get anything done beyond basic design sketch iterations. So (as Josh points out on SolidSmack), you're paying $2k to keep an up-to-date seat of SolidWorks, and another $6000 for SWMC and SWID.

Let's say this is tolerable somehow. Hell - I could see paying a pretty penny to SolidWorks so I can have real SubD surfacing, tied to prismatic geometry. That would be pretty neat!

But you aren't getting that for your $2000 a year - you're getting a very basic SubD modeler that spits out dumb solids into your primary CAD program. Guess what you DSS chuckleheads? I've got about 4 different SubD packages that can already spit out dumb surface solids to SolidWorks - Fusion, Rhino, T-Splines, Modo... Those idiots really think paying $2k so I can have some iteration sharing features is worth it? Morons - I've got Dropbox and FaceTime and iMessage, and Slack (all of which have an annual cost of precisely zero).

What SolidWorks needed was SubD integrated tightly with prismatic geometry. T-splines is starting to get there, but slowly and in a very T-splines way. NX Realize Shape is the absolute ideal- Design the part prismatically, grab the surfaces you want to make swoopy and have at it. All your geometry stays tied together and any changes to the base prismatic feature change SubD surface. True - if I make a 10mm x 20mm x 50mm box and SubD a few faces into a swoopy thing, I might need to go back and tweak my surfaces if I radically change those dimensions by more than about 10%... but Realize Shape is shockingly robust. It can easily handle the sort of minor fit and function changes you'll be doing once you have all your surface work done.

I would pay an easy $2k a year to have that technology in SolidWorks. But as some bullshit "companion" that spits out dumb solids? Screw that.

First it does work hand in hand with SW, they designed a part in ID then went into SW added features went back into ID and did some changes from another user in ID merged them together and went back to SW to add more features and modify. seamless!

I also did Alfa testing on it at SWW, cannot comment on what because of the NDA, all I can say there is more that hasn't been shown. I also got to do a hands on test drive for an hour, not a lot of time but it was more intuitive than T-Splines in Fusion and the mouse works the same as all SW product, middle wheel and middle button rotation. I don't use a space mouse, have one but I'm faster with the wheel because of instructing SW all semester to students.

As for the cost I think yes it is on the steep side, but maybe they'll give early adopters a break :skep: never know.

Last edited:
Dang-it, didn't realize there were any other PM members there, although I did run in to Aldepaolo at the BobCAM booth. Would have been cool to meet you. Saw the Industrial Designer demo too, pretty slick, but no idea how much is window dressing at this point or what the cost is going to be. Did you make it to any of the break out sessions?

Dude I posted here before SWW and asked if anyone was going.... all i heard was crickets :stirthepot:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/cad-cam/who-coming-phoenix-soliworks-world-298375/

yes did a few, had to bounce Monday and head back to ASU in the afternoon to help some students out in the shop, did 3 on Tue and got demos on SolidCam from Ken Merrit Wed, they donated 200 seat to ASU and need to get them loaded

Reminds me of the you still believe in leprechauns joke. How old are you? And you still believe cad demos are real? It the program did not crash at least once, you were not using SW.

Sorry to be so cynical, but that leprechaun got me more than once. SW is fumbling about. They have become Autocrap and changed their business model to ProE. I am looking for the next SW.

Correct me if I am wrong, currently you use Surfcam, HSMWorks and Delcam for SOLIDWorks. Now you will be using Solidcam. Please share your opinion on the good and bad of these softwares.

I have run surfcam since 92, still love it except for the UI, never had anything I couldn't program.
heard some rumors at SWW that weren't favorable, VERO has been sold twice in the last few months!

HSMWorks is my go to currently, needs work on lathe and other milling ops, need to add more options and types of tool patches that I am used to in others like surfcam.

DFS I personally don't use only 1 seat, but my coworker loves it and has been making great parts for 3+ years now.

SolidCam needs to get installed and the server setup, seem alright. Ken Merrit, who I have known since 96 as a fellow surfcam user here in AZ, then a tech support for surfcam, gave me the demo at SWW. I TRUST HIM!
so I will give feed back later.

Back