What's new
What's new

SolidWorks problem with fractional dimensions, lines to centermarks?

i_r_machinist

Titanium
I've changed my document properties in my .slddwg file so that I get fractions when I dimension between line to line or centermark to centermark, BUT, when I dimension from a line to a centermark, I get a three place decimal. I've checked a box that said "round to nearest fraction" but that does nothing. I've changed the fractional unit to 64. Nada.
Grasshopper is begging for forgiveness and is pleading to be shown the light, Oh Cad Masters!
i_r_

First off, what version of SW are you using?

Secondly, what happens if you dim from line to the actual circular feature, not the centermark?

2013 is the last version that our IT guys can get to work, although we have 2015 installed. I can draw a circle or dim to existing circle and get the same thing, decimal. But I can dim the circle and it shows a fractional diameter.
i_r_

I'm trying to recreate your problem in 2016 but I'm not getting it.

However, try this:

click on the decimal dimension, go to the other tab in the dimension property manager
check "override units"
fill the fractions radio button
choose your denominator
check round to nearest fraction
click ok to exit the dimension property manager

That won't solve your drawing template problem tho, been a long time since I've used 2013

If 2016 is out, I'll just try to get that one working. I'll put in a PO for the soildworks guys to come in and get everything running with the network license. I'll try your suggestions first.
Thanks
i_r_

On the units page I had everything set like you said and got the same results. Then I read the tab under that and it said "dual dimension length" which was set in millimeters. I changed it to inches and then the tabs for "fractions" and "more" enabled. Set those two fields as you said and BINGO!
Thanks Rewt!
back to having fun!
i_r_

Back