What's new
What's new

Solidworks won't convert to sheetmetal

rbregn

Aluminum
I am trying to draw a "simple" part and convert it to sheetmetal so I can flatten it for the flat layout to plasma cut. I keep getting the following error- rebuild errors, you must select a fixed planar face or a liner edge on an end face of a cylindrical face
What does this mean, What am I doing wrong?
I would insert the file, but it won't let me, I get an error with that also. It must be Monday

basically it is one side of an offset rectangle to round transition. I can do it the hard way. I was hoping this would save my a bunch of time. Hasn't worked out that way.

Hmmm, that's a pretty complex shape for the sheet metal package in solidworks to figure out. Someone here with more knowledge on that might be able to help you out. I could do it in catia using the free form surface feature, but I'm not sure Solidworks has the same option.

This one isn't too bad. Don't try to convert or insert bends with sheetmetal. In my experience, starting with a sheetmetal feature first, produces better results.

For a transition like this, use a lofted bend.

Draw one profile. Offset a plane, and on that new plane draw the other profile.

Be sure to leave a small gap in both profiles.

Then use Lofted-Bend with these two sketches.

That's it.

If you can't get it to work, post the dimensions and I'll attach a file for ya.

will try tomorrow, my brain is to fried doing it the old way. What I need to do is find a school to take classes on solidworks. But in the town, I am screwed. Been trying to learn in my spare time. It is just way different from bobcad(which is a good thing) and I don't have free time anymore.

Back