What's new
What's new

STEP File Viewer? Which one?

munruh

Hot Rolled
What would be a good step file viewer I could install on a couple of computers? Fusion 360 handles them well but we have to upload them to the cloud and often the guys in the shop just need to pull up to zoom in on a feature and maybe pull a couple measurements. I'm looking for something like SW Eviewer. That works very well for SW files, but I don't thin it opens STEP files. Thanks

I don't think they make a step file viewer. You would need to convert the step file to something a (free) viewer could read..?

edit: If you do find a stand alone step file viewer let us know, I would be interested! :)

Fusion can load Step and IGES files directly, without uploading to the cloud. In the pull down choose new design from file.
If you already have it, and say it works well, than you may not need anything else.

here is a hint for all of you................................... AND IT IS FREE!!!

get yourselves a GARBCAD account, works like dropbox on steroids and the web version can open any exported files type, step, iges, x_t, sat and stls.

it installs a folder in your my doc folder and then you up load the files to the cloud storage and the there you select the file and bam you see the solid.

step file in GRABCAD.JPG

FYI now I never need to carry a jump\flash or hard drive back and forth files are already downloaded at home when I get there.

While waiting for inventor to upgrade their translator for Catia files I found this place called machineresearch.com. You do have to go online to view and measure things but it will open anything. It was at reasonable cost also. I'm thinking $25/month after the free trial was up.

Back