What's new
What's new

Surfcam Vero 2016

Sei2003

Plastic
Well I have decided to upgrade out of the 2.5D world and go 3D. I figured this would be an easy move. We have used Surfcam traditional for years. While I am not a Cam genius, I can cam good parts fast, set up and be making chips in no time. I have been very disappointed with Surfcam 2016 3D milling. I do not feel the roll out of this products has been customer friendly at all. I keep running into issues that I feel should have simple solutions and nothing has been simple. I feel either I am totally inept or this product is much more complicated than it needs to be. We cut pretty simple parts and I find it is taking longer to program than before. Even if I had to trick the Traditional to do 3D. Anyone else using this and what is your experience. Even getting a good post has been problematic.

:angry::angry::angry:

Why didn't you just upgrade surfcam traditional to 3axis?
the new surfcam is just EdgeCam rebunddled with surfcam labels.
i have been waiting for a training class on the new surfcam for over a year now here in AZ and nothing.
lucky we are education cause we only pay a small % of commercial price.
see if you can exchange new for traditional but get true mill with it.

Well I have decided to upgrade out of the 2.5D world and go 3D. I figured this would be an easy move. We have used Surfcam traditional for years. While I am not a Cam genius, I can cam good parts fast, set up and be making chips in no time. I have been very disappointed with Surfcam 2016 3D milling. I do not feel the roll out of this products has been customer friendly at all. I keep running into issues that I feel should have simple solutions and nothing has been simple. I feel either I am totally inept or this product is much more complicated than it needs to be. We cut pretty simple parts and I find it is taking longer to program than before. Even if I had to trick the Traditional to do 3D. Anyone else using this and what is your experience. Even getting a good post has been problematic.

:angry::angry::angry:

What problems are you having with the post? And what machine?

Why didn't you just upgrade surfcam traditional to 3axis?
the new surfcam is just EdgeCam rebunddled with surfcam labels.
i have been waiting for a training class on the new surfcam for over a year now here in AZ and nothing.
lucky we are education cause we only pay a small % of commercial price.
see if you can exchange new for traditional but get true mill with it.

They make you pay for old SurfCAM educational software?

What problems are you having with the post? And what machine?

I am getting some weird outputs versus what the simulation show and what I programmed. Also, need to get the high speed look ahead a dialed in as contours and arcs are choppy. We are running the new Hardinge/Bridgeport Conquest V1000 which has the M70 Mits control. And we use a Hardinge VMC1000 with a Fanuc OiMb control. Basically these two post are the same however.

Can't help with the posts but if your 3D contours and surfaces are choppy make sure the tolerances are set in Surfcam to .0002 or less. We stopped with the maintenance after Version 6. Just wasn't getting anything in return. Their classic 3D is pretty good (been using it for 20+ years) but from what I've seen and heard the newer version is more fluff than substance.

Why would you have students using obsolete garbage software?

Why John you are such an angry man.......................

I have it for me not the students, we shop staff do the CNC programming, our Mechanical engineering program is 90% theory and 10% hands on we don't see most of the students until their senior year, last semester finial project.

we teach them manual machining since it is the first time any of them have ever touched a machine.

so if we have to instruct some of them we teach them gcode and then HSMWorks

surfcam is there when HSMWorks cannot do what I want or cannot do it at all.

There isn't anything I have not been able to do in surfcam, cannot say that for HSMWorks.

I have been a Surfcam user since 1994. I do lots of 3-D surface machining. My posting is flawless ( if I do my part). I can import a file from Solidworks get it roughing and feed finishing files quite quickly. I like it although it is all I have had to work with. The owner bought it and told me to learn it or he will get someone that will! So motivation was quite hi on my list. Went from cranking handles to a PC & a Mazak VQC20/40b in a week! VQC is long gone we now are running it on 4 510C Mazaks

I have been a Surfcam user since 1994. I do lots of 3-D surface machining. My posting is flawless ( if I do my part). I can import a file from Solidworks get it roughing and feed finishing files quite quickly. I like it although it is all I have had to work with. The owner bought it and told me to learn it or he will get someone that will! So motivation was quite hi on my list. Went from cranking handles to a PC & a Mazak VQC20/40b in a week! VQC is long gone we now are running it on 4 510C Mazaks

Terry you should download HSMExpress 2.5 it's free, runs inside of SW and give it a shot, won't cost the owner anything :D.

I do agree surfcam is very quick with SW, John just gumbles cause he dislikes the UI, agreed so 80's, but never have bad results.

So what version of Surfcam are you using now? Still traditional or the Vero "new version"?

Back