What's new
What's new

SW16/CW16 question about adding additional stock to a part in Camworks

Mark A

Plastic
I like to add material to my aluminum parts based a lot of times on standard bar stock sizes and have been having a difficult time understanding how Camworks "sees" the extra material.

For example I added .023" to the top of a part which was an .125" thick to allow for facing of the part. Total stock thickness .148" in this attempt. The face tool would not remove this material like I thought, it went directly to the part surface. When viewing the actual G code my Z value was zero and my rapid plane (normally 1") is now in the G code 1.023 and my clearance plane is .123 (normally .100").

In this same instants setting up the tool offsets for subsequent machining operations is proving difficult as well.

I am working on a new part (6061 aluminum) where I want to hold the part from the bottom by a 1/4" and then flip it over and face off that 1/4" as the last operation. For sake of argument I would like to take two .100" passes and a finish pass of .050" based on the extra 1/4" of stock.

Am I selecting the wrong surfaces or planes in SW or CW or both?

Is there a tutorial or a video that explains the process of adding stock to be removed, how it is related to the rapid and clearance planes along with setting tool offsets?

Back