Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Swiss learning curve!?

So....how much fun is to be expected? Lol. Looking at videos itís rather daunting. Regardless, Iím anxious to start making chips.

Iím an avid Inventor/solidworks user. Also program our CMMís and have been programming our 3/4 axis mills with fusion and works express. This is for a high volume tier 1 shop, which means tons of edits to cut out every last second! Same will have to apply with the new equipment.

The machine thatís coming next month, is a Nomura twin spindle with Y and B axis. Parts being made will require it all. As far as CAM software, Iím leaning towards Esprit. Training is included and really all Iím hoping is needed. Past that hopefully seat time cures everything else.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubiman14 View Post
    As far as CAM software, I’m leaning towards Esprit. Training is included and really all I’m hoping is needed. Past that hopefully seat time cures everything else.
    I like an optimist. As Jimmy Cliff said, "Experience, experience, will teach you sense."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Easy peasy.
    Sounds like you got the background and you'll get the training.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a Swiss machine operator for less than a year (i.e, still in the learning curve), I can say that that even though they are a little bit of a different beast, they really aren't too bad when you start getting used to them a bit. My programming experience with these machines is not very advanced (mainly dealing with program edits and verification so far), but they seem to behave very similarly to traditional machines in many respects. There are some things that need to be considered (part lengths vs. guide bushing size, how best to pick off parts with a sub spindle, etc,), but anyone with experience can pick up on those things pretty quickly.

Our programmers do use Esprit, and it seems to be a fine choice. We are a pretty high volume production shop, so turnaround and flexibility were all factors in that decision. I cannot speak to the details of Esprit myself, but I know our shop has been using it reliably for years.

Good luck with your Swiss experience!

Connor_U.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just watched a video on Esprit Swiss programming and it made me sad with how clunky the interface is. Not sure how the support is in your area but see if you can trial a copy of Gibbs and what's available for posts and etc for your machine.

The Gibbs interface is outdated as of the last release but both these videos feature 2014 software.

Here are the two videos I looked at:
    ESPRIT is QUICK for programming SWISS - YouTube
    GibbsCAM Multi-Task Swiss Part (MTM on Citizen L2�) - YouTube