What's new
What's new

Swiss learning curve!?

Rubiman14

Plastic
So....how much fun is to be expected? Lol. Looking at videos it’s rather daunting. Regardless, I’m anxious to start making chips.

I’m an avid Inventor/solidworks user. Also program our CMM’s and have been programming our 3/4 axis mills with fusion and works express. This is for a high volume tier 1 shop, which means tons of edits to cut out every last second! Same will have to apply with the new equipment.

The machine that’s coming next month, is a Nomura twin spindle with Y and B axis. Parts being made will require it all. As far as CAM software, I’m leaning towards Esprit. Training is included and really all I’m hoping is needed. Past that hopefully seat time cures everything else.

As a Swiss machine operator for less than a year (i.e, still in the learning curve), I can say that that even though they are a little bit of a different beast, they really aren't too bad when you start getting used to them a bit. My programming experience with these machines is not very advanced (mainly dealing with program edits and verification so far), but they seem to behave very similarly to traditional machines in many respects. There are some things that need to be considered (part lengths vs. guide bushing size, how best to pick off parts with a sub spindle, etc,), but anyone with experience can pick up on those things pretty quickly.

Our programmers do use Esprit, and it seems to be a fine choice. We are a pretty high volume production shop, so turnaround and flexibility were all factors in that decision. I cannot speak to the details of Esprit myself, but I know our shop has been using it reliably for years.

Good luck with your Swiss experience!

Connor_U.

Back