What's new
What's new

Take Photo of Sample Part, Make That Into Print?

munruh

Hot Rolled
I have some sample parts from a customer here. They do not have any prints. There are a couple radiused slots.....that I need to measure. Is there any software at all where I can load a photo of the part and it will convert that to a dxf or something? thanks

I usually scan the pic in and bring it in the a cad package then measure a ref dimension on the part both in real life and the cad. Then scale the image appropriately and trace in cad directly.depends on how critical the dimension is. There are quite a few freeware apps out there that do similar conversions

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

I usually scan the pic in and bring it in the a cad package then measure a ref dimension on the part both in real life and the cad. Then scale the image appropriately and trace in cad directly.depends on how critical the dimension is. There are quite a few freeware apps out there that do similar conversions

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Thank you!

I have some sample parts from a customer here. They do not have any prints. There are a couple radiused slots.....that I need to measure. Is there any software at all where I can load a photo of the part and it will convert that to a dxf or something? thanks
usually automatic software actually not the good. that is a arc maybe converted to a thousand straight lines. many cad software you can draw on top of a image or photo then turn the image off when done. i often used red lines to tell difference in image edges and what i drew. later the red lines on a layer can be all turned to black if wanted. you can have many layers with image on one and part edges traced on another and dimensions on another layer.
putting a digital picture or image into solidworks is easy. most cad software will allow same thing. in the old days old drawings were scanned and you traced then out on computer to convert to CAD. as long a drawing image scanned on different cad layer you can turn layer on and off in a second if wanted. you can put layer to front or back. or make a layer semi transparent to be able to see through. often done with 3D model giving xray vision seeing through parts. all wireframe many parts on top of another it can be confusing. semi transparent is usually better

You say you have the parts in hand, correct?

then you should be able to measure the slot with a caliper or gauge pins.

for my reference is the part rectilinear or surfaces? If rectilinear I put the part on a photocopier or on a piece of paper and trace the outline then scan it, then put it into CAD.

the tracing gives a true view, a photo is always skewed somehow and never will give you a true proportion of the parts.

I do this alot.

+1 on the flatbed scanner...but they don't all appear to be confocal. The captured images appear to be from a perspective view on areas that are not flat on the bed. I do this a lot. Place a scale on the bed, next to the object. This will give you an accurate reference when you scale it in the CAD.Shooting with a camera with telephoto takes care of most of the the prospective problem.
Ken

Back