What's new
What's new

Deburring in FeatureCAM

wheelieking71

Diamond
I should know this. But, I just can't figure out anything that works.
Is it possible to create an "edge-break" that basically amounts to an undercut chamfer, with a lollipop cutter?
If there is a technique that works, I can't figure it out.

I have a side profile that has a groove cut in it. I am cutting the groove with what basically amounts to a radiused woodruff cutter.
It is closed ended, with a radiused lead-in/out. Because of that, I want to reach under the top edge (and down to the bottom for that matter),
with a lollipop to deburr the sharp edge. But, also get a nice blend at the ends which wouldn't be possible with a dovetail.
where I could just cheat the GEO around until it worked.
The lollipop throws a wrench in the works.

Am I missing something? Or is this not possible in FeatureCAM?

There is no dedicated process for this in FC.

There are a few ways to do it though.

1. Make a side feature using the same curve that you used for the parent feature, give it a finish pass with a z offset to reach the underside of the feature and a negative side leave allowance to make it undercut. This is the method that I use 9 times out of 10 if it's a simple planar chamfer.

3. Offset the parent feature curve to the centreline of your chamfer/lollypop and translate it in Z. Make a toolpath feature from the curve. Manually define your leads. This one is very useful if you have a simple chamfer that has non-planar or vertical sections for example.

2. You can in theory use flowline projected surface milling feature. I haven't used this one a lot so I can't say too much about it.

In all cases it's practically essential to have your tool full defined by curve or solid in order to see the results accurately in simulation.

There is no dedicated process for this in FC.

There are a few ways to do it though.

1. Make a side feature using the same curve that you used for the parent feature, give it a finish pass with a z offset to reach the underside of the feature and a negative side leave allowance to make it undercut. This is the method that I use 9 times out of 10 if it's a simple planar chamfer.

3. Offset the parent feature curve to the centreline of your chamfer/lollypop and translate it in Z. Make a toolpath feature from the curve. Manually define your leads. This one is very useful if you have a simple chamfer that has non-planar or vertical sections for example.

2. You can in theory use flowline projected surface milling feature. I haven't used this one a lot so I can't say too much about it.

In all cases it's practically essential to have your tool full defined by curve or solid in order to see the results accurately in simulation.

I was afraid that was the answer I would get. Thanks.

Back