What's new
What's new

HELP with Alphacam \ Mach 3 \ MX3

SUPERPOT

Plastic
I have a prototrak 2000 machine using a MX3 control which can be manually programmed or as I do use alphacam software.
The programs are put into the machine by using a floppy drive and at the moment it's the way I use the machine.

However I wish to use the 2.5 axis machine in full 3 axis mode and I am being told that I need to purchase a DNC kit which will be around £500.

That will apparently allow me to "drip feed" programs into the machine from my PC.

That said I think I will then have to update my alphacam (current version is 2002) and to do that I have to take out the annual maintenance at a cost of around £800?

To that end I am looking at alternative ways of achieving my aim of full 3 axis movement and am toying with purchasing MACH 3.
From what I have read that allows me to use my PC as an up to 5 axis controller? Does anyone know if it is compatible with alphacam as I really like the user friendly system alphacam software that I have become accustomed.

Can mach 3 be integrated with alphacam?

Will I run into post processor problems?

It looks to me like MACH 3 can run the machine from the PC direct so will unrestrict my limited size programs sent to the current mx3 controller?

The machine itself is a 1997 model but it has had very little use i.e. maybe 6 full weeks work in total from day one as it has been in storage for many years and only put back into operation less than a year ago.

I feel like removing the MX3 controller if MACH 3 will do what I am aiming to achieve? Any help on these issues would be very much appreciated, best regards, superpot

1) Mach 3 is controller software not hardware. So if you choose to use mach 3 you'll have to see if it will work with your older hardware or plan on getting a new PC based controller box. CNC Controls & CNC Kits - MachMotion.com would be a good place to start for hardware and software solutions pc based.

2) Alphacam is a CAD CAM system, all you need to be concerted with would be the post you are using. Since Mach 3 runs Fanuc style a generic Fanuc post from Alphacam should work out of the box, or maybe with a few edits...

3) If you talk with XYZ I am sure they can answer your questions about the drip feeding, IMO the DNC option does more than just let you send 3D programs to the machine, I believe it also has to do with the tolerance of a program that can be run on the controller. Prototracks are easy machines to run and program, for the cost of a new controller box and software and setup I would just purchase the DNC option. They can unlock it right away and you'll be up and running. If you decided to change the controller software and re purpose the hardware ( if you can ) you are looking at maybe weeks of setup and configuration to get things working right.

4) The really nice thing about Mach3 is the code and cycles it supports. It's really easy to use and once setup gives you a lot of options. If you have the time I think it's more than worth looking into.

Back