What's new
What's new

Is there a way to ramp down an O.D. in Cimatron

PegroProX440

Hot Rolled
I am a fairly new Cimitron user (version E12) comming from Mastercam. I have a simple part and was hoping to save time. I am holding a copper rod in a V Block. I want to ramp down the outside to establish the diameter instead of taking depth cuts. I know how to ramp if its in a pocket but cant figure out if its the outside of a part. Thanks!

I use Cimatron daily and I think it blows mastercam out of the water in many ways however the way it handles simple helical ramping isn't the greatest. There's a couple options that work for ramping on an ID, but they just don't work for OD's.

The easiest way I can think of to ramp on the outside would be to do it as a Surface Procedure - Finish Mill by limit angle.

If you set your limit angle at 1 degree and uncheck the box for "horizontal areas" and change your "vertical machining method" to helical it should work alright.

If you're new to Cimatron don't forget you can switch the "tolerance and surface offset" settings to advanced and change the wall offset and floor offset separately.

Thanks that worked as a workaround. Just cant use the 2.5 axis option. I wish I could combine both softwares. Cimatron gets the complicated stuff right but seem to fall short on the stuff that should be dead simple.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's hard to beat the simplicity of Mastercam for the 2.5x stuff. It does get better in Cimatron once you get familiar with how everything works.

I will say, when I first started on in Cimatron I would switch back to Mastercam for drilling jobs with lots of holes. The basic drilling procedure sucks, and autodrill was intimidating since it's so different from everything else.

But once I took the time to learn Autodrill, and now I have it setup with templates and accurate tool libraries etc. it's so much faster.

Back