Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Last resort backup of CAM software installation

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_machine View Post
    in other words yet another scheme to force subscription payments, leave everbody exposed if they go out of business, and make working in places with spotty or no internet more difficult.

when the rwvolution comes, all of the big software houses will be against the walll....

The subscription model is awful - for us end users. Talk about getting the short end of the stick.

It's really important to make a system image of your hard drive that has the CAM software installation on it. If the hard drive fails, clone your spare and pop a new one in. If another component - graphics, motherboard, cpu, etc. fails you may be able to use the image to restore your CAM program to a new or similar workstation.

It's sure better than buying a new seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Griffing View Post
    I upgraded two machines to 2018 - despite my reluctance to use a new release. So far, both work as in the old days. I have not had to sign out. I have only one seat of whatever they call the high end (most expensive) option - no network feature here either. So I am clueless as to why you are having trouble.

Edit: I should add that I have only used one machine at a time.
    Once a computer is activated for Solidworks, it's for the life of the computer. Upgrading an existing install doesn't require a new activation. If you click on Show Licenses, it'll most likely show Activation Expires - Never. The change doesn't affect you until you lose a hard drive or upgrade a computer. At which time you're back to one computer per seat.

The problem is I followed procedure to move an installation to a different computer - I deactivated the home office PC to move it to a laptop, and found I could not reactivate it without deactivating the shop PC. That's how I learned of the policy change. I never would have done that if I had any idea of this change - would have been fine for another 5 years or more with two activations. That's why I'm so pissed.

The sales rep quoted the EULA, which some years ago was updated to allow only one activation per seat instead of two. Only in the last month or so did they change the actual activation process.