What's new
What's new

Tilted Polar Helical Swarf

roadie133

Plastic
I am programming helical rotary compressor impellers using esprit, the composite mode works fine for standard milling but I would like to force the machine (okuma multus) to polar interpolate with the head at a tilt while swarfing a profile. I can extract curves from the part surface and use them to drive a tool in wrap mode which gets me from end to end in one c-axis line of code, but using this method has severe limitations. Esprit does not recognize where the part is (could possibly live with that) and I have no control for flank engagement or tilting of b-axis head. Is anyone aware of a cam application that is capable of meeting these requirements? :ack2:

Is anyone aware of a cam application that is capable of meeting these requirements? :ack2:
You may want to ask the people on Emastercam.com to see if the multiaxis package can do what you want.
I'm just a 3-4 axis schlub so I really can't answer your question.

I am pretty sure GibbCAM can do what you want and IIRC it uses the same 5 axis package as MasterCAM so if one can the other should be able to as well. I have liked using the portions of Gibbs 5 axis when it was available to me.

You may want to ask the people on Emastercam.com to see if the multiaxis package can do what you want.
I'm just a 3-4 axis schlub so I really can't answer your question.

compressorSam would be the guy to talk to there.
i dont know Esprit and dont understand the problem

"polar" would be where the NC substitutes XY coordinates into rotary motion in a 2.5 axis method, which doesnt seem to fit. seems you would need a full 5 or at least 4.5 axis method.

Likely morph between two curves in mastercam could hammer that out for you just like you want. Otherwise a traditional swarf path might be able to do that. Whitout seeing a picture it's hard to understand what you are after. Why do you want to polar interpolate, or are you just looking to lock the head at an angle and cut to keep it rigid?

My feeling is he wants to use the C axis to substitute one of either the A or B axis.

thanks

I want to use polar interpolation instead of standard 5-axis mode so that I can get from end to end in one line of code, 'wrap mode' will code out 'polar' but does not allow me to control b-axis and I need to cut with the flank of my tool on an angle that keeps me normal to the profile surface and also will allow me to get a gear cutter into the root of the profile. I appreciate the input and I will look into gibbs and mastercam.

Attachments

• roughpath.jpg
    roughpath.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
I want to use polar interpolation instead of standard 5-axis mode so that I can get from end to end in one line of code, 'wrap mode' will code out 'polar' but does not allow me to control b-axis and I need to cut with the flank of my tool on an angle that keeps me normal to the profile surface and also will allow me to get a gear cutter into the root of the profile. I appreciate the input and I will look into gibbs and mastercam.

View attachment 199961

so, why won't "standard 5-axis mode" get from one side to the other in one line of code? and why would you care?
do you care what code gets sent to your printer, or do you just care that the printout looks correct?

anyways, AFAIK okuma will only allow polar interp @ b0. because that is it's intended use. You could double check with an applications engineer on you specific serial number machine.

Just went through a project in Esprit where we were trying to force rotary interpolation, with the head at a fixed tilt. After creating a bunch of extra geometry, it kinda worked.

Hypermill made the path we wanted without any extra geometry. You'd be hard pressed to find something with better 5 axis milling control. I say this as a die hard fan of Esprit.

FWIW, if you are unhappy with the control that Esprit gives you, you are going to be really unhappy with what Gibbs and MC have to offer.

I have been down the same road with Esprit and one of the other programmers is currently utilizing Hypermill for this purpose but it takes him a very long time to plot the toolpath, I am looking for something more efficient. Thanks for the input, at least I now know that I am not alone.

Back