What's new
What's new

Topsolid opinions.

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Hello.
I know that TopSolid or someone was spamming this forum with ads but I actually need some opinions on them. I am in the process of developing a modular furniture line and they seem to be able to deliver easy configurations for the vast array of options that I will end up making. Basically its a system of metal extrusions and connectors holding plywood together. I need good nesting to align up with the veneer and to get pricing. The hope is to also get data off the website and easily render the clients desired piece for illustration. Thank you.

Hi Plutoniumsalmon:

Quite a handle you've got there-must be a good story behind that!

I'm a long-time TS6 user, and am slowly transitioning to the V7 program. We mostly use it for programming of 3 & 4-axis mills (though we are pretty good with the modeler, too)...not sure from your query if my feedback would be relevant in your case. Long story short-quite a capable program, and we're pretty happy with it for our purposes. The program is quite vast and there are whole chunks of it that we don't use at all. It really is a CAD/CAM/PDM program, and not just CAM. Have you downloaded the trial version and played with it at all? I *think* it's the "whole thing", and runs for a month or so.

Is there something you can't do with whatever you're already using? I know that they've got an application-specific wood module for that sort of work, but know nothing about that particular module.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info and leave it at that-feel free to ring me if you wish. I'll help if I can.

Thanks, Brian

Seems like there would be some cabinetry/ furniture based software solutions instead of a generic do-all cad cam.

That was me. I apologize for spamming. I had to sit in the corner for a bit but they let me come back as long as I was good.

Anyway, I can't tell if you would need our Wood software or our metal software. I say this because Wood uses Version 6 and Metal Version 7, which is completely different.

If, and only if, you would like some more information, please direct message me or email me at [email protected]

If not, nevermind and have a nice day.

Top solid also has a wood option. That's why I am asking. More about how good they are to deal with.

I've had a good experience dealing with them. I have used the V6 program for a long time and know it well for our uses, so I require little to no support. What support I've needed has been handled well by my VAR, who I now consider a friend, by the way. I can't speak for someone who might need lots of support initially, but all of *my* interactions with my VAR and Missler have been good.

We generally "do maintenance" every couple of years to get the latest and greatest release, and have always felt like we got our money's worth for it. I'm slowly transitioning to the V7 program, and am liking it so far....stay tuned for details as I get more proficient with it. It's vast....

Unfortunately, I know just about nothing about the wood option (I'm guessing that's what you're looking at?).

I sent you a PM with my cell# a few days ago-please feel free to ring if you want to chat.

Cheers, Brian

Top solid also has a wood option. That's why I am asking. More about how good they are to deal with.

Hi again "ps:"

Just sent you a PM with the contact info for a wood user up in my neck of the woods (bad pun-sorry)....somebody with a credible opinion about the product vs my CNC/CAD/CAM perspective.

Cheers, Brian

I've been using it for 2 years now and I can say with full confidence that there are much better options out there as far as the cam side goes. The cad side of thing work pretty good when you finally get your head wrapped around how the do things and how they are translated from French. Just be prepared for a continuous out pouring of cash. They charge for everything!!! If it was my money I would go with Soildworks and find a Cam system that would fill my needs (easy toolpaths, easy custom tools, great support).

I disagree. I think topsolid is verry capable for this. You can buil easy your templates for your cabinets. Or make a whole assambly parameteric including your cam files,setup sheets and stuff and al this is automatic updated just bij changing your parameters in your part.
Im using topsolid 7since version 7.5 in2011 and i find it verry capable

Well that's great for you.

Hi rickyt:

I just sent you a PM with my contact info....I'm no expert with V7 yet, but am very comfy with V6, and getting better with V7 daily. I would be glad to help you if I can-please don't be shy. I don't know what sort of work you're doing with it...maybe I can be helpful, maybe not?

I'm sorry to hear that your experience hasn't been great, and am surprised to hear about a "continuous out pouring of cash"-our experience has been the complete opposite of that. Do you deal with a VAR, or with the main office in Chicago? I deal with my VAR, but know the guys in Chicago a little bit too.

You mentioned custom tools in your post-I have some good documentation about this and will see if I can forward it to you. It's quite extensive....stay tuned.

Cheers, Brian

Back