What's new
What's new

#40 sprocket generation in SW

i_r_machinist

Titanium
Is there something in SW9 that will allow me to generate the profile of a #41 chain sprocket with 26 teeth? Or some other program that will give me geometry? I'm getting lazy in my old age and don't want to get out the calculator.
Thanks
i_r_machinist

ir- send me an e-mail, and I'll send you a part file with the sprocket. To answer your question though- no SW cannot do it unless you sketch the profile and generate the model conventionally. Seems that the SW folks would figure out that involutes etc might be a usefull tool along with sprockets and timing belts. Probably same reason that the hole wizzard does not do center drills. Oh well.

Dan

[email protected]

I was sure they had to have it somewhere! Seemed like a no-brainer to me! Do you have software that will do it? If so what is it?
Thanks for the help.
i_r_machinist

Certainly not efficient, but building the correct tooth form of a sprocket is surprisingly simple and interesting.

I had a job a few months ago that required building CAD models of sprockets to check clearances in an assembly. A few discs of the correct diameter would have sufficed, but I spent time on my own reading about what defines the tooth geometry. I built a SW part that uses three global variables, pitch, roller dia, and # of teeth. Now I can just plug in what I need and automatically create custom sprockets.

More or less what John posted, but building it myself taught me something. I'll probably use John's program as it directly spits out G-code. Nice touch.

Henry Wettersten

John Stevenson,
You are the MAN!!!!!
I burned a disc of that program and instructed my son to have a copy of it buried with me just in case I came back!
I've only cut one chain sprocket before. Machinery handbook, calculator, and Gibbscam. @#$%^&*()(*&^%$#$%^&*(*&^%$!!!!!!!!!!!
It's hard to crunch numbers when every 10 minutes someone is asking, "Can you make this work? We need it now!","I can't get this broken EZout out of this hole." ect.,ect.....

S_W
Sprocket MUST be 26 teeth. But thanks for the input.

have fun
i_r_

Here ya go - from right inside SW -
configured through the toolbox -
Zip file has the dxf in it.

Attachments

• 40_26_sprocket.JPG
    40_26_sprocket.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 1,583
  • 40_26_sprocket.zip
    25.3 KB · Views: 246
WJR,
Can you break it down step by step, as to where in toolbox?
Thanks i_r_

Sure...

From inside the Design Library, enter the Toolbox, then ANSI Inch, then Power Transmission, then Chains and Sprockets. right click the sprocket type you want, and "create part". When the part opens, you'll be prompted for the design details, which are all drop down menus. I chose your 40 and 26 tooth, and viola!

Do all versions of solidworks have the toolbox? I have the basic version, but it says no toolbox is installed. It would definatly be nice to have solidworks whip up a sprocket. The first and last one I did I drew the profile in featurecam using the formulas in the machinerys handbook. Brought back some memorys from school trying to remember how to solve the equasions :)

Do all versions of solidworks have the toolbox?

I honestly do not know. And I can't tell you if there's some level of introduction as I have an all the bells and whistles installation. I *DO* know that you have to tell SW to install it when you first install SW, otherwise it's not available. Check your install CD/DVD to see if it's on there... Sorry I can't be much help.

Not all versions have the toolbox, it's an upgrade (professional or premium only, I think). You may be able to download a sprocket model from someplace like McMaster-Carr and make whatever modifications you need.

Andrew

Back