What's new
What's new

Trasfering programs to cnc

Hertz

Stainless
Ok this is not really software related, but it is somewhat because I am using Mastercam and Cimco edit. I have been using memory cards and usb sticks to transfer programs for the longest time and now at this new job I have an RS232 cable to do transfers. The machines are Fanuc oi models. I am not sure what the I/o channel needs to be on to use this cable and what to set up on the machine to get it ready for transferring. Also on cimco edit, do I have to set up a machine or can I just send it with the cnc ready? Anyone else still use this method, and if so, what is your standard procedure to do it?

These machines do not have a USB. That is the issue. They have a memory card but I do not have a card adapter at the moment. I have ordered one in already but currently I only have the RS232 cable and I need to get the program in today.

rs232

Ok this is not really software related, but it is somewhat because I am using Mastercam and Cimco edit. I have been using memory cards and usb sticks to transfer programs for the longest time and now at this new job I have an RS232 cable to do transfers. The machines are Fanuc oi models. I am not sure what the I/o channel needs to be on to use this cable and what to set up on the machine to get it ready for transferring. Also on cimco edit, do I have to set up a machine or can I just send it with the cnc ready? Anyone else still use this method, and if so, what is your standard procedure to do it?
i would read the manual for your particular machine. you need to know the rs232 protocols to use. Like knowing what telephone number to call and what language to speak. also the Fanuc operator screens needed.
On a PC I use software that requires no action at Fanuc 15 CNC control other than not being in edit mode. It is set up for viewing a cnc file and downloading and uploading files. On other CNC machines I have had to put the CNC is file receive mode or file transmit mode. That is it required clicking things on CNC and PC.
........ again i would read your cnc machines manual for the proper procedure. a rs-232 cable is about $10 and there is free software that works like edytornc

On my Oi machines, channel 0 is the serial port. I use serial as much as possible on the Fanucs, it's so much easier than fucking around with the memory card. Plus I have all my non-usb/ethernet machines hardwired for it and set up with a DNC server...

Are you using a proper cable made to the correct pin-pin arrangement for the Fanuc, or an off the shelf serial/null modem cable? Not sure if the latter is compatible; it might be, but I'm not sure.

I don't use Cimco edit for transfers so I can't help you there. But on the machine you need to be in edit mode with the memory protect key off. Then type in an available program number and press the READ softkey. You might have to page around the softkeys to find it depending on your control.

On my Oi machines, channel 0 is the serial port. I use serial as much as possible on the Fanucs, it's so much easier than fucking around with the memory card. Plus I have all my non-usb/ethernet machines hardwired for it and set up with a DNC server...

Are you using a proper cable made to the correct pin-pin arrangement for the Fanuc, or an off the shelf serial/null modem cable? Not sure if the latter is compatible; it might be, but I'm not sure.

I don't use Cimco edit for transfers so I can't help you there. But on the machine you need to be in edit mode with the memory protect key off. Then type in an available program number and press the READ softkey. You might have to page around the softkeys to find it depending on your control.
read the manual. on my fanuc 15 you cannot be in edit during file transfer. but you have to be in edit mode on the Fanuc Oi ??.......... just goes to show they changes things on different machines and best to read the manual

read the manual. on my fanuc 15 you cannot be in edit during file transfer. but you have to be in edit mode on the Fanuc Oi ??.......... just goes to show they changes things on different machines and best to read the manual

Every fanuc I've used has to be in edit for file transfer. Sounds like you're using remote DNC on your 15.

edit mode

Every fanuc I've used has to be in edit for file transfer. Sounds like you're using remote DNC on your 15.
i am fairly sure the programs are on the control and not dnc. i have come across file size limit and number of files on cnc control limit often. odd thing is it blinks punch or punching tape mode
so some how it thinks it is reading a old cnc paper tape and punching holes in a tape rather than communicating with a desktop computer. Fanuc 15 I believe is from around 1990-1994 give or take, so it is old technology

I read the manual but it doesn't say anything about what I/O number to use. Either that or I'm having a hard time finding it. No 0 seems to work. It awaits the program with the flashing input. I can send via cimco edit but I end up with an alarm. Its SR0085 Overrun Error. Book says "The next character was received from the I/O device connected to reader/punch interface 1 before it could read a previously received character"
Seems I may need to set up cimco editor to work properly.

I read the manual but it doesn't say anything about what I/O number to use. Either that or I'm having a hard time finding it. No 0 seems to work. It awaits the program with the flashing input. I can send via cimco edit but I end up with an alarm. Its SR0085 Overrun Error. Book says "The next character was received from the I/O device connected to reader/punch interface 1 before it could read a previously received character"
for rs232 you need to know for example Com1:4800,e,7,1
........ on PC you have to know what com port you have cable connected to if cable not plugged into correct serial port it is like calling the wrong telephone number and nobody listening other end or can hear anything, 4800 is speed data sent, the e,7,1 is very important so both cnc and pc are sending and receiving properly. On Fanuc i have no ideal what the setting are i do know if any incorrect it will not work

If it's flashing INPUT then it's not waiting for the program. LSK means it's waiting, INPUT means it's already reading.

If it's flashing INPUT before you send the program then you have a handshaking misconfiguration. That can be in the form of comm settings, or an incorrectly wired cable.

If it's flashing INPUT then it's not waiting for the program. LSK means it's waiting, INPUT means it's already reading.

If it's flashing INPUT before you send the program then you have a handshaking misconfiguration. That can be in the form of comm settings, or an incorrectly wired cable.

I got it working. I just has to set the baud rate to 4800. Flashing input on this machine is indeed waiting. Its waiting for the signal from the PC. maybe your machine is different. It will sit there flashing forever until I hit send from the pc, then it accepts all the program. Otherwise default settings in Cimco Edit.

I got it working. I just has to set the baud rate to 4800. Flashing input on this machine is indeed waiting. Its waiting for the signal from the PC. maybe your machine is different. It will sit there flashing forever until I hit send from the pc, then it accepts all the program. Otherwise default settings in Cimco Edit.

That still sounds to me like it's missing the full handshake. Try sending the other way and see if it waits for the PC or if it just sends anyway. Or don't bother if it's doing what you need it to :)

What I am about to say may not apply to your situation at all because we are using different software and machines.

With OneCNC using RS232 on HAAS control it is very important that the device to receive must be activated first then send from other device.

For example, I go to the machine control and list programs, then type in O0xxxxx, hit receive RS232 at control then SEND at my lap top.
Just the opposite when sending program to PC, the PC is told to receive first then send from control.

If I am standing at the control and hit send before telling the PC to receive the program will be corrupted once received to PC.

I dunno, I may have something jacked up but it works fine as long as I keep the procedure right as I said above.

That still sounds to me like it's missing the full handshake. Try sending the other way and see if it waits for the PC or if it just sends anyway. Or don't bother if it's doing what you need it to :)

You may be right on this. I have not tried to send it back as my main goal was to get that specific program to the machine. I will try Tuesday when I get back to work. As for now, I'm going to enjoy this long weekend. :)

What I am about to say may not apply to your situation at all because we are using different software and machines.

With OneCNC using RS232 on HAAS control it is very important that the device to receive must be activated first then send from other device.

For example, I go to the machine control and list programs, then type in O0xxxxx, hit receive RS232 at control then SEND at my lap top.
Just the opposite when sending program to PC, the PC is told to receive first then send from control.

If I am standing at the control and hit send before telling the PC to receive the program will be corrupted once received to PC.

I dunno, I may have something jacked up but it works fine as long as I keep the procedure right as I said above.

I always thought this was the "normal" way to do it. I guess because there is the wait option now things are different. Its not a big deal for me either way as the laptop is about 3 feet from the machine.

The highland usb flash link runs through your rs 232 port, there is a box connected at the other end that you plug your thumb drive in.

So it allows almost any machine with an rs 232 port to work with a usb stick.

Also supports dnc, not to mention Jerry from highland dnc is an rs 232 expert.

You mak want to take another look at the link I posted.

I think it would make communicating with your machine easier.....

rs232 file transfer

i think i understand one difference in file transfer
1) in one you start with a blank program in edit mode and by text transfer mode a pc sends the text of the program as ascii text and pastes it into the file in edit mode
2) other mode the cnc is not in edit and the pc sends a file transfer of the program set as binary data to the cnc memory storage device whether hard drive or some sort of flash memory so when file is done transferring it is seen in the file directory listing with the rest of the programs
i have tried before to send as a file and a particular cnc will not accept it. some cnc are setup only for a text transfer type of download. many rs232 file transfer programs can send as text or as a binary file
my Fanuc 15 control all I saw was a date of 1992 Toyoda BN-25a of the machine itself. A older control that could handle paper tape, floppy disc, rs232 file transfer i would think could be very different from a later control
........ the pictures show download view screen and 1st one at bottom you can see box for file hold feature. that is a engineer can put the program file on hold so it cannot be downloaded. the other pictures show it is transferring by memory mode and not tape mode but when cnc is uploading files it is blinking Punch like it is punching a tape

Attachments

• ProgramOnHold.jpg
    ProgramOnHold.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 1,533
  • ProgramViewScreen.jpg
    ProgramViewScreen.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 586
  • ProgramViewScreenDL.jpg
    ProgramViewScreenDL.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 795
Our shop recently added on of these to replace our old Greco mini file which had become problematic to say the least. It was getting increasingly difficult to even find diskettes to use, had to use an adapter to even get programs out of a PC.
Works well for us, we do not use it for dnc only file transfers, for EIA progs on a Mazak, and a couple of Fanuc controls and a Mitsubishi. Seems a little odd compared to what we used before, but once you use it a few times is quite straightforward.
Our newer Fanuc controls we use the PMCIA card for, but USB certainly is easier to deal with.
We had been using a PC linked as a network to transfer programs, but seemed to have way more problems than we should have, this is VERY simple to use and has been very effective for us.

No connection to the product, just a satisfied customer and would recommend it for using for RS-232 file communications.
I am referring to the Highland DNC recommended above.

Last edited:

Just finished the job. The program outputted just fine. I just hit receive in Cimco editor, it waited for me, went to the machine f-output and away it went no problem.

Back