What's new
What's new

ot: dos prompt before windows boots?

i_r_machinist

Titanium
Looks like my computer for my Mach3 conversion has bitten the dust. When I boot up it gives me this error:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I'm hoping I can get to a dos prompt to recover my Gibbscam programs. I'll probably end up taking it to the computer doctor, but they tend to wipe the drive and start over.
not having fun
i_r_machinist

Get yourself a bootdisk - like the XP install.
Use the REPAIR shell and simply paste over the corrupted hal.dll with the one on the disk.
Make sure you do it in the correct directory - that's all.

Get yourself a bootdisk - like the XP install.
Use the REPAIR shell and simply paste over the corrupted hal.dll with the one on the disk.
Make sure you do it in the correct directory - that's all.

Or find a small shop that isn't trying to con you into a new computer, and have the tech do the deed while you wait.

Call ahead, though.

Steve

If your concerned about losing files, take the hard drive out of the computer and put it in an external enclosure and plug it into another computer to transfer the files you want.

And while your at it, you can probably replace the missing file.

Haven't received a call back from the tech store, but have found a hal.dll file on another machine running the same version of windows. Think it would work if I dropped it on top of the other file?
have fun
i_r_

Haven't received a call back from the tech store, but have found a hal.dll file on another machine running the same version of windows. Think it would work if I dropped it on top of the other file?
have fun
i_r_

If it's the same version of Windows, then yes, it should work. Even better to get a copy of the right file from your Windows disk. Here's a website with instructions:

How To Fix Missing Hal.dll Errors in Windows XP

Also, I am sure you know this, but it's time to get some backup going. I am a happy customer of iDrive. It backs up my files to the Internet every night. I have no affiliation with them, but I've lost some stuff before and was very happy that iDrive had it saved for me. Another nice thing about iDrive is that so long as you have storage space on your iDrive account, it will save revisions of files. I had a CAM program I changed in MasterCAM and accidentally overwrote my production .NC file. I was able to get the older version from iDrive - saved my ass.

Take these o-shit moments as a sign from the heavens to change your backup ways :D

I have a set of backup discs! I guess I made them and forgot about it, but found them last night. Problem is that when I start running it, it does a disc check, and give me a bunch of "block unreadable" lines. So, I'm going to take it to the doctor to try to save anything in there.
Now I'm pretty sure that I'm in the market for a hard drive. Something compatible with a Compact Pressario 5200 box.
have fun
i_r_

Before you go to great lengths to recover that installation of Windows (running repair, restoring from a backup, etc.) I'd suggest you run chkdsk with the /r option on that drive. Most likely your hard drive is going belly up.

If you have another computer with a CD burner, I can PM you a link to download an ISO image of UBCD4Win (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows) that has some diagnostic and repair utilities. If I'm talking Greek to you so far I suggest you find someone who is familiar with diagnostics, unless you are adventurous and want to learn.

PM me if you want the ISO image.

Joe

Scudzuki,
PM sent.
chkdsk was what was telling me "unreadable", and my "adventurous" days will soon be coming to a close, but not quit yet.
thanks
i_r_

Sorry, I did not read all the posts before posting.
Yes, your HDD is going belly up.
With a $10 USB to HDD adapter you could possibly recover most of your files yourself BUT your time may be more valuable than trying to do it yourself.

I provide computer and network support for some smart guys... doctors, lawyers, etc. They always apologise for not being more computer savvy. I tell them, when I need a doctor, I go see a doctor. When I need a lawyer, I go see a lawyer. I have to pay my bills, too.

I'll PM you the link for the UBCD, you just have to get your PC to boot from it to use it, which varies by PC model and manufacturer.

Joe

Thanks Joe,

Computer jockey said that about 40% of the disc is corrupted and he will try to save my two main programs. I did find a mach3 backup that is 3 months old, so all is not lost. I'm going to look into that online backup service.
Thanks for the help
i_r_

I was very skeptical when a client mentioned Carbonite online backup years ago.
I contended that offering unlimited online backup for $60/yr was not a viable business plan.
Once again I was wrong, and Carbonite has proven to be a good service.

Years ago Mozy Pro (a competing service) had data corruption in its data center and backup data center. Anyone trying to recover data at that time was SOL. Not sure they are still in business.

Windows 7 has a pretty good built in backup system that, in conjunction with a bootable CD you prepare, can perform a full system restore.

If your HDD goes belly up, buy and install a new one, connect your (external) backup hard drive, boot from the CD, follow the prompts. Pretty good stuff for free.

$100 for an external HDD plus an hour of time provides a pretty good disaster recovery plan.
Add Carbonite to that and your place could burn down (God forbid) with your computer AND your backup disk in it and you're STILL okay.

Joe

Back