What's new
What's new

Upgraded to OneCNC XR-7

Joe Miranda

Titanium
I recently upgraded my OneCNC to XR-7 and I am not a big fan so far. Looks like we lost the ability to make "incremental" moves - either that or they hid it. Either way not a good move.

When these software companies make changes, I like when they leave the old stuff the way it is and just add the new to what is already there. That way you don't have to re-learn stuff.

It's like when Microsoft went from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - sheesh - morons.

I don't like the new appearance of the XR-7 either and I am not seeing the benefits over XR-5.

What have you guys found that I am missing?

I recently upgraded my OneCNC to XR-7 and I am not a big fan so far. Looks like we lost the ability to make "incremental" moves - either that or they hid it. Either way not a good move.

When these software companies make changes, I like when they leave the old stuff the way it is and just add the new to what is already there. That way you don't have to re-learn stuff.

It's like when Microsoft went from Windows 7 to Windows 8 - sheesh - morons.

I don't like the new appearance of the XR-7 either and I am not seeing the benefits over XR-5.

What have you guys found that I am missing?

Not sure what you mean by "incremental moves" unless you mean 'move to position'? You can add a shortcut icon for that found under 'Toolpaths' in the quick access menu.

As for what is new, I'd say the main new improvement has to be the adaptive feed rate control in the high speed toolpaths. This allows you to tailor the high speed return rate so as to reduce the chattering/banging effect you might have experienced when running high speed toolpaths in narrow channels (but still want it set high for wider areas). It used to sometimes be pretty hard on my old Haas, and I'd have to run for the feed rate override :D Whether or not this is something you needed, it's there. And there is always the need to stay up to date with file translators and converters, which is an advantage of staying current. But your old XR5 won't stop working AFAIK.

Not sure what you mean by "incremental moves" unless you mean 'move to position'? You can add a shortcut icon for that found under 'Toolpaths' in the quick access menu.

As for what is new, I'd say the main new improvement has to be the adaptive feed rate control in the high speed toolpaths. This allows you to tailor the high speed return rate so as to reduce the chattering/banging effect you might have experienced when running high speed toolpaths in narrow channels (but still want it set high for wider areas). It used to sometimes be pretty hard on my old Haas, and I'd have to run for the feed rate override :D Whether or not this is something you needed, it's there. And there is always the need to stay up to date with file translators and converters, which is an advantage of staying current. But your old XR5 won't stop working AFAIK.

I found the "incremental" moves - right next to the "world" moves. Sheesh - these old eyes don't see much anymore (on the CAD side - not CAM).

I am not sure what you mean about the adaptive feed rate control. I have never been able to run high speed toolpaths on my machines - because of their age they have limited memory size. If I can figure out how to work around their file size limits I will check into that.

Yes, XR-5 still works but I am committed to the XR-7 and trying not to look back.

Back