megiddoblades

Plastic
Thank you fellas for your help.

I'm looking for a CNC verification/ simulator that can handle:
macro B programming,
gcoding with subprograms and subroutines for Fanuc style lathe and mill
has a user adjustable post
doesn't require always online or a dongle
and is affordable (preferably under 1500)

'It'd be really sweet if, but it probably doesn't have' features:
to be able to work on the actual controllers to emulate the process.
have multiple posts already done
to report collisions
more than 3 axes
canned cycles of machines and how they work.
good graphics.

I don't really know much about verification software, save that after you post with a CAM, you can make sure your machine doesn't crash.

What I'm really looking to do, is to improve gcoding/operating for both lathe and mill, I'd also like to start learning macro B programming and use it to practice on.

Thanks again, and God bless.

I had a recommendation until you threw in the unrealistic condition of being under $1500. You'll find some glorified backplotter, but it won't be what you were hoping for.

Dan

Good verification software is expensive.
I'd rethink that $1500 budget if I were you.
If I remember correctly, Vericut costs $20k? But I could be way off.

NCSimul is probably the best bang for the buck. But not $1500... I don't think you will find anything at that price. What do you use for cam software?

With apologies to others who have covered some of this ground....

G-code verification usually implies a complete virtual machine and tooling and an exact emulation of every move the tool/machine will make. That in turn usually means Vericut, NCSimul, Predator Virtual CNC or the like. Starting prices for packages that allow you to construct complete simulations $15,000-$25,000. You can get limited versions of some - NCSimul for example - to verify one machine for $10,000 - $15,000 range. In this latter case, you supply the machine model and they animate for the controller involved (Fanuc, Heidenhain, etc.).

A number of CAM systems have their own verifications (CamWorks, NT are two I believe) but module pricing is on a par with above.

OTOH, G-code backplotters are available from free on up. NC Corrector (free or contribution), Cimco Editor Pro ($$) and many others. Google G-code backplotting to have a look at their varied functionality.

Fred

. . . If I remember correctly, Vericut costs $20k? But I could be way off.

It ought to be a whole lot less, since the developer/owner basically ripped off the idea and the method.

Getting a gig as a tech writer for Stephen Wolfe's "CAD Report" he came to one of the original developers of NC Verification software (ATP) asking all sorts of questions "for the article." Next thing he did was write his own clone of the software. Chinese IP thieves don't have much on CG Tech, and lower prices, though you can credit the company for keeping at it and eventually adding features.

Owie. :D

I know this isn't your guys' fault, and greatly appreciate your input. I'm sure you'd love to be like Oprah, and everyone gets Vericut.

Personally, that level of cost is unjustifiable for me at this moment, mainly doing it for practicing new techniques, learning more about lathe CNCs, macro's, and something that just works, doesn't have to be perfect. The second part was just for fun to see if there was anything out there that decent and still affordable. I don't have a job shop yet, hence why not too thrilled at the prospect for personal use.

Now I've heard of Cimco's verifier, and know the cost to both it, and CNC simulator, however, I wondered if anyone tried them out and liked it, and met the basic criteria of G-code and macro capable.

Also heard of Machineworks and iCam, and wondered if those would also be in the ballpark, or what you think of their products if you used them.

In any case, thanks again. On another note, if some shop owner has say, fifty million copies, is it possible to say to them, hey, I'll buy a seat from you at cost, plus a couple hundred for your trouble? and get a copy, or do you have to be with the company?

Oh, and I'll be using Fusion 360 for cam, Huskermcdoogle.

Last edited:
Personally, that level of cost is unjustifiable for me at this moment, mainly doing it for practicing new techniques, learning more about lathe CNCs, macro's, and something that just works, doesn't have to be perfect.
If you're going to be using it for turning, a g-code backplotter will do everything a siimulator does. Even for most milling, the backplotter will give you most of what you want - at a much lower cost.

@ PeteM -- interesting. But not unexpected :) The people who actually create imaginary property seldom reap the benefits ....

Honestly, unless you are running a something with 5 or more axii I don't see the value. I think having a post that has consistent handling of things like clearance planes and dog leg rapids coupled with consistent programming format from the programmer will eliminate a lot of cost to this whole endeavour.

I have complete confidence in Gibbs' simulation. I know as long as my stock size is correct, my tool stick out/relief is correct and the program is sound (through verification of the simulation) that I have nothing to worry about and my challenge will be tolerance and quality related not program.

A little confused when you say "post".... but for the macro and sub program verification check out NC Plot. Works well and isn't expensive.

It isn't going to do any collision detecting or anything. Kind of a backplotter for G-code, but will run macros and subs. I think it is a useful tool.

Back